cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh, am I wrong?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, On 24/6 I purchased a OnePlus 5 from O2 Angel, using O2 Refresh and paying £89 upfront. I was told by the rep that helped me with my contract that within 2 weeks:

• In case I want to keep the device, I can just call them, pay it off and cancel my contract, not having to pay any airtime
  • In case I want to return the device, I can just bring it back and the upfront cost will be refunded to me

One of the last days I was curious and wanted to confirm the process so I called them up and asked. They told me again that I can pay off the phone and cancel the plan if I want to.

So today, having decided I want to keep the device, and cancel the airtime, I went ahead and called O2. I told them I want to pay off my device and cancel my Refresh plan. They took my card details and charged me. I asked them if I'm going to have to pay anything else after our phone call and they were really unclear, telling me that they'll schedule my plan cancellation for 23/7 (why?) and that if I don't use my the airtime I shouldn't be charged (what?).

Since the following things have happened:

• On live chat, a rep told me that my plan is scheduled for cancellation at 23/7, because I need 30 days notice. Then changed her mind when I told her I was within the cooldown period and suggested I call and I should be able to cancel my plan immediately.
  • On a call afterwards, I'm told by a very rude rep that "Have you not read the terms and conditions?", and that because I paid off the device I can't just cancel the plan now. I could cancel the plan now only if I returned the device.
  • On a live chat after that, I'm told by someone the same, that again I'm not able to cancel my plan without a 30 day notice and without returning the phone, citing the following:

---------

If you've bought additional equipment, you have 14 days from delivery or installation, as applicable, to change your mind. Once you've let us know you want to cancel, you'll have 14 more days to return or arrange for the return of your cancelled equipment.

--------- (from https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy)

I'm really not sure who's right and who's wrong at this point. I really want to keep this phone but I hate this misinformation and treatment. No one knows when and what exactly I'm going to be charged. Do I have any other option than to return the phone?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
As long as you pay the device in full (as you have done) you can give notice to cancel the airtime for free.
You must, however, pay for the first full month of airtime as you are not cancelling the contract, you are buying out of it, so the 14 day cancellation doesn't apply here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
As long as you pay the device in full (as you have done) you can give notice to cancel the airtime for free.
You must, however, pay for the first full month of airtime as you are not cancelling the contract, you are buying out of it, so the 14 day cancellation doesn't apply here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Exactly that^
You haven't cancelled under cool off, you are accepting and completing the entire contract process thus are required to give 30 days paid notice.
Message 3 of 3