cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Data Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

On Sunday night I boarded a ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, for a couple of days city break in Bruges. When I was roughly halfway across the North Sea, I got a surprisingly pleasant text message from O2:

"Relax in Europe with O2 Travel. You'll never pay more than £1.99 a day for data. Check your email, Facebook, Twitter and BBC News. Now you can keep your data switched on to find good restaurants, share holiday pics and stay in touch..."

"£1.99 a day?!" I thought, "Bargain! All the things listed in the text message apply to me! These are exactly what I'd like to do when abroad but have never previously dared due to the fear of unclear data charges". So this is exactly what I did - I left my data roaming on. I checked my email. I checked Facebook. I Tweeted. I sought out some restaurants. I Instagrammed some pictures of gothic buildings, beer glasses and waffles. It was amazing! And after all, i'll NEVER pay more than £1.99 a day for data, right? Wrong.

Shortly after boarding the ferry back to Hull the day after, I recieved a very different text message from O2:

"Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We'll tell you when you've spent £20 and again at £40. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB."

What happened to the £1.99 a day thing? That was a much better proposition. Also, I don't remember ever having left Europe - the Ferry I was on travelled down the East coast of the UK to Belgium, All of which is in Europe unless I am mistaken. Within a couple of minutes of facebooking and twittering I had another text message. I'd spent £20! Phone off, and grumpy Danny.

Dreading getting my bill from O2 this month. Interestingly, I should also probably point out that whilst abroad my 3G speeds were amazing, too - guessing the "give long term customers crap 3G allowance" algorythm that O2 deny existance of doesn't apply abroad.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If connected to a ferries network it is £6 a mb as they do not count as in europe. (the operators are not based in the eu.)

We have see this before on here,

When in range of an included country then o2 travel works as long as connected to a mast in the included countries.

What did your phone show when on the ferry

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If connected to a ferries network it is £6 a mb as they do not count as in europe. (the operators are not based in the eu.)

We have see this before on here,

When in range of an included country then o2 travel works as long as connected to a mast in the included countries.

What did your phone show when on the ferry

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I have to agree being on a ferry is not being in Europe, so normal charges would apply.

Good job it wasn't a world cruise! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

As said previously when you're out at sea you're not connected to ANY standard mobile mast.  So therefore there will be an on-board mast operated by a country that might not be based in the EU.  That being the case, you leave yourself open to a higher international rate for data/calls/texts. 

It's always best to check this stuff out before you travel.

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

I have to agree being on a ferry is not being in Europe, so normal charges would apply.

Good job it wasn't a world cruise! slight_smile

Airports are also classed as no mans land because they aren't classed as being in the country 

Message 5 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The OP said he had instagrammed pictures of gothic buildings. I didn't know there were gothic buildings on ferries....

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

The OP said he had instagrammed pictures of gothic buildings. I didn't know there were gothic buildings on ferries....

He also said he used it on the ferry.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 13

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I understand that, but he must have only been on the ferry for the crossing. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I understand that, but he must have only been on the ferry for the crossing. 

From the op post

"Shortly after boarding the ferry back to Hull the day after, I recieved a very different text message from O2:

"Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We'll tell you when you've spent £20 and again at £40. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB.""

remembering that only 3.33 mb would trigger the text message

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 13

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Lesson learned for the OP, I suppose.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 13