cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Data Allowance

Anonymous
Not applicable

What sort of business model does O2 run I ask myself, as I found myself out of broadband allowance, after the sixth day of my monthly plan?  I have 2 GB of 4g data each month and after using another 1 GB on “the works”, finding I was unable to renew this a second time, and being offered an “all-rounder” with only an additional 500mb, I was in despair.  I spoke to the online chat and was given various links and suggested that I take out a contract, although I could renew “the works”, which I pointed out the option was unavailable. 

So, what brought me to this dilemma?  The sudden illness of my mother who is 86 years of age.  I had to travel north to look after her and my father who is 90 years old.  They don’t have broadband and for the first couple of weeks I was here I was practically bereft of a 21st Century existence and living in a vegetative state.  I had managed to tether a Kindle to my phone and download a few books to read.  I struggled to play my chess games on my recently purchased smart phone.   I could receive emails and managed to read the Guardian, but as my parents are both deaf and frown upon the TV being on, that was my limit. 

I increased my monthly contract from 1 GB of internet to the maximum on offer 2 GB and purchased a laptop.  Tethering this to my mobile phone, with ease, how wonderful technology is today.  The problem I soon encountered was the data consumption.  I did not visit ‘YouTube’ or watch any videos, a quick visit to Facebook, a few additional programs and Office 365, chess games and the odd  internet search.  This still ate away at my data usage at an alarming rate.  Although customer services did say that I had reached my limit that I was allowed for the month.  I note that they have added an additional “the works” today giving me yet another 1 GB of data.  So since the 17th of March a period of one week, I have consumed 4.5 GB of data.  

My gripe is all this is what O2 think is reasonable for people to use.  Being an older person, I make little use of TXT messages. I don’t make many phone calls, especially as the person I normally phone is my mother and at present I have little need to do so!  Although communicating with her may be as easy on the phone, whilst I sit opposite, and wave from the other side of the room!

I spent a few hours going through what O2 offered in the way of mobile internet options, nothing appealed.   I spent even more hours on comparison websites, comparing Dongles again with little results.   Everything seems limited in available data and expensive as well.  I eventually located a reasonable priced mobile Wi-Fi router that would take a sim card.   Shopping around I found an excellent deal without long term commitments, from EE, to which I signed up.

By the end of the week and still with two weeks to go on my monthly allowance, I shall have as much data as I shall need.   I will be able to watch videos or You Tube without the stress of wondering if I have reached my limit.   It is a far more a cost effective solution to anything O2 are offering.

Therefore my point is what business model are O2 working from.  Obviously one that assumes that data usage should be restricted to trivia such as Facebook.  That an opportunity to make additional revenue with more generous packages, would give an unfair advantage to O2’s competitors.  O2 is in my opinion short sighted in its approach to data availability.  It assumes that every customer is young and limited in their scope and usage of the internet.  That all their customers spend their day’s texting and sending selfies to friends or posting on Instagram. 

Well I am on O2 customer in my 60th year, and I use the internet to keep myself informed and I require obviously a lot of data to achieve this objective.    So the outshot of this is you O2 have lost a lot of potential revenue, to a rival in their market place.   I am not the only person to have used tethering nor will I be in the future.   Circumstances have forced this upon me, for the foreseeable future.  The community matron that paid a visit the other day, did all he work by tethering her laptop to her mobile phone.   Obviously she did not have an O2 contract, as she would be hard pressed to get through a few days before the limits were reached or she had bankrupted the local NHS. 

O2 needs to find solutions to this issue, they need to consider and older market and what demands they have and offer a service accordingly.  With more portable devices coming on the market all the time and the advancements in technology and people using the cloud more for everyday purposes.  The demand for data usage will be increasing exponentially.   Companies that stay complacent serving the existing need without innovation, tend to fall by the wayside.  There have been many examples of this and it is a recognised phenomenon. Wake up and meet the challenge or end up extinct and become another company swallowed up by its more successful rival.  You have an opportunity to innovate, then consider taking on imaginative people to lead the way.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
I assume this is in reference to payg ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It does but as I pointed out this is perhaps a temporary situation, and I would certainly not consider tying myself into any long term contract.  My point is why set restrictions on what you can buy or spend.   O2 options are restrictive and not for the betterment of their paying customers.  If I have had to buy alternatives from a rival company, then O2 are missing out, through thier poor business model!

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Indeed and I agree. I was just making sure I'd understood you correctly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

The beauty of P&G is just that, you find a network that will provide you what you need. In fairness, your recent usage is not for the average user, or indeed for yourself until recently but I'm glad you have come across what seems a great solution for yourself. Hope the situation for your parents health concerns improves.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Jonsie

My usage is normal for me, just not via my mobile.  If I purchased groceries online I would not expect to be refused a delivery, because I had one last week.  Or should I go to a green grocers and be refused a bag of potatoes on the grounds I was only allowed one a month, I equally would not be happy.   

I could not have predicted that my needs would change as suddenly as they did.  I am a customer and looking for an affordable package to meet my present requirements.  Data is what I consume, obviously in large quantities (hence why I am fat!).  O2 needs realise that I cannot be the only person who encounters such a problem.  

Providing a range of options that are competitive, should be a key business strategy, something O2 have obviously overlooked.  I should not have to resort to purchasing an alternative product from a different supplier.  If many people start encountering such problems, and find alternatives which are cheaper and more to their suiting, then eventually they will consider whether they should stay loyal to O2 or change supplier permanently. 

Message 6 of 8

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Sorry but I have to disgree that they operate a poor business model...

They are currently the second largest network in the UK (will soon be part of the largest) with 22.5 million customers and are valued at £10 billion, and profitable, so their business model hasn't done them too badly, in fact quite the opposite.

As a PAYG customer you have the freedom to choose a network who will suit your needs, and clearly O2 are happy for that to happen. 

ewan

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could have said similar about M&S, Tesco, Morrison's and like at various times.  All it takes is for something or organisation that can under cut or provide what an emerging market place desires.  Then customers can leave in droves as there is no real loyalty to brands, these days.   Nokia have felt this at times, so what is big today and market dominant does not mean that will be the case in a few years hence.

Message 8 of 8