Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls

Sheffgirl
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am currently plagued with nuisance calls and texts and after one frightening incident on Tuesday 6th November where a caller was trying to call me 3 times in 4 minutes, I want to find a way where all calls and texts EXCEPT those from my contacts lists are automatically blocked. I know I can block withheld numbers - that is easy -  and I can block these nuisance calls and texts only AFTER they have messaged me. I wish to be more pro-active and block ALL calls and texts from anyone NOT in my contacts list. Apparently 02 cannot do this and having consulted with an online guru, he could effectively do nothing except recommend some apps which are non 02 and of which I am wary. Any suggestions please?  Thank-you.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Sheffgirl

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to automatically block all calls and texts from numbers not in your contact list.

Please have a look at the link below to see if the information can be of any help to you:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/u...

The only suggestion I can make is to change your number, which O2 will do for free one time. You should ring Customer Services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus if you wish to go down this route. Between 8-8:30am is the best time to call to avoid a long wait on hold.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Sheffgirl

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to automatically block all calls and texts from numbers not in your contact list.

Please have a look at the link below to see if the information can be of any help to you:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/u...

The only suggestion I can make is to change your number, which O2 will do for free one time. You should ring Customer Services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus if you wish to go down this route. Between 8-8:30am is the best time to call to avoid a long wait on hold.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There are apps which can screen your calls and yes you can block numbers after they have called or texted you but it sounds like you are having problems with various people or numbers.

In your situation, if this is causing you distress, I recommend a number change. O2 allow one number change free for nuisance calls. Give them a call, you don't even need to change SIM.

Also remove your number from all social media such a Facebook. Just give the new number to family and trustworthy friends.

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Sheffgirl Definitely follow the advice given to you by @Glory1 and @jonsie

If you don't want to change your number, as a suggestion, I use an app called Mr Number, which is available for free on both Android and iPhone. It works really well to help screen numbers and eventually block them. There are many other apps on either platform, if you don't like that one. Doesn't matter that they're not 'O2 apps', as O2 doesn't provide one for customers.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I use Truecaller which tells you who is calling so you can choose to answer or not and block immediately..
I've recommended it to others on here who use it successfully.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I use Truecaller which tells you who is calling so you can choose to answer or not and block immediately..

I also use this and it's great for screening calls though private mobile numbers don't show as scams or nuisance calls. 

Not sure if this customer is having problems with a form of bullying or the usual 'accident or energy switch' cr@p calls?

Message 7 of 10

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

I also use this and it's great for screening calls though private mobile numbers don't show as scams or nuisance calls. 

Not sure if this customer is having problems with a form of bullying or the usual 'accident or energy switch' cr@p calls?

She mentions being frightened by one incident, which says to me they are some form of bullying calls. You don't get frightened by energy switch calls; pi$$ed off yes but not frightened.

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would go for a number change personally. If any calls frightened me to any extent then that would be my preferred route. It would be inconvenient knowing who to trust with your new number but that's a risk you would have to take.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sharing a umber on any form of social media is the worst thing you can do. However, frightening calls should definitely be referred to the police. There is no place in society for those type of calls.

Message 10 of 10