cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No warning when exceeding minutes

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a light user but last month I went over my minutes and ended up with a whopping bill! 

Firstly, I wonder why O2 notify you when you're reaching your data limit, but choose not to for minutes?

Secondly, 45p/min when you stray over your limit is daylight robbery!

How can they justify operating like this?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

You do have quite a few ways of checking your "balance"... You can use my O2, text Balance to 21202, call 202 and use the automated service, etc...You get a warning for Data because once it's finish you will not be able to use it, but the minutes and call charges are your responsibility.

Message 2 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 don't warn you when you are reaching the limit for minutes or texts but do for data. They expect that if you are mature enough to take out a contract then you will be responsible enough to be aware of your usage.

To be honest there are so many ways to keep check and if you have the My O2 app it takes all of 5 seconds to check your remaining allowances.

Out of allowances charges are available as well in the app. Suits some but not all.

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a limited amout of minutes on my contract - 500 and I simply keep track in the MyO2 app, it's quick and easy - however the update on the mins isn't instant and can take upto 12 hours. So once I know I am approaching the limit I check MyO2 each morning (as usally the previous days calls have updated by then) and then obviously limit the calls based on this - works ok for me.

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
As said you can keep an eye on your allowances in myo2.

It's the persons responsibility to check not O2
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I agree that 45p per min is extortionate.
Esp when giffgaff (owned by O2) only charge you 10p per min on their basic PAYG package.
No benefit for a contract if you go over allowances these days unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I agree that 45p per min is extortionate.
Esp when giffgaff (owned by O2) only charge you 10p per min on their basic PAYG package.
No benefit for a contract if you go over allowances these days unfortunately.

Agree - especially as they only charge 35p on the big bundle and 30p on the big talker PAYG bundles - you would have thought contract customers would get the preferential per min rate.

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
So O2 will in no way assist customers by being proactive in warning them when they're approaching the limit even though it clearly has the technology to do so!
Why would they if they then charge 45p/min?
Cynical profiteering - no more and no less. Otherwise why would the EU have to force phone companies to be more ethical towards its customers.
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I doubt they will change their stance or systems to accomodate this. The 45p charge is totally ridiculous so it pays to be very vigilant.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right. I won't repeat my mistake.

it may even prompt me to swap providers as my contract's nearly finished.

Message 10 of 13