Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile data roaming in Germany

Bartinbrook
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was in Germany at the weekend and tried to use my iPhone 13 but found that I had no roaming ie couldn’t check any websites and online apps. The phone is fairly new and I’ve not used it abroad before, but I think the settings are correct and roaming was switched on. I tried manually switching to the various available networks, but this didn’t work. Instead of 5G or 4G, I just continuously got E.

I called O2 to check this out and they said everything looks okay their end. They switched off a spend cap for me and asked me to reset network settings, which I’ve done.

Any ideas what this could have been caused by? I’m in the US in June and am concerned that I’ll have similar issues.  

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Bartinbrook 

You need to ask O2 to add idata to your account.

An iPhone won't work correctly without it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Bartinbrook 

Check your APN settings are set to mobile.o2.co.uk (you can find this is in the Mobile Data settings) .

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

Bartinbrook
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I tried that but it didn't work, unfortunately. 

Everything worked fine using the hotel Wi-Fi and as soon as I switched off Airplane Mode after landing back in the UK. 

Message 3 of 6

Dazza76
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just joined O2 today on my own iPhone and the APN is set to idata.o2.co.uk Will that cause issues roaming?

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Bartinbrook 

You need to ask O2 to add idata to your account.

An iPhone won't work correctly without it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Bartinbrook
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5, it seems that it was iData missing from my account. I noticed that Visual Voicemail was not working too. I called O2 and they've added iData. VV is now working after resetting my network settings and re-booting. Hopefully roaming will be working now too. Thanks to all for the help.

Message 6 of 6