cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone data issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
I paid out of my old device and airtime in order to get a new phone through carphone warehouse as well as a new data package, as the phone I wanted wasn't on the o2 website as an upgrade option. I was given a PAC code in case I decided I wanted to keep my number, as well as I werent sure if I was staying with o2 or not.

When the new phone arrived I put the new sim card in and tried swapping the sims as instructed with the sim booklet. But it wouldnt work so I phoned o2 asking for assistance on how to keep my old number and was told I only had to put my old sim into my new phone. Everything seemed fine except I noticed when I log into my o2, the old data tariff comes up and says Ive paid off the device plan. O2 also texted me to say my data was completely used up despite the fact Ive only had the new phone a week avd gsve been connected to my home wifi the entire time.

I asked the person on the phone if Im going to be charged for two phone / airtime and she said no. But now Im not so sure.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you are still using your old sim, you have 2 contracts.
You need to call and ask to migrate your number to the new contract (no PAC needed) which will cancel your old contract.
You need to be using the new sim which has your new contract and allowances on it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you are still using your old sim, you have 2 contracts.
You need to call and ask to migrate your number to the new contract (no PAC needed) which will cancel your old contract.
You need to be using the new sim which has your new contract and allowances on it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

maryofdungloe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When your pacing over put the new SIM card into your phone turn it off and then turn it on again, this makes the phone look for the new sim.

failing that keep using your old sim until it goes dead and where your phone says at the top your network it will change to “no network” or “no sim” then put ya new sim into the phone.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@maryofdungloe wrote:

When your pacing over put the new SIM card into your phone turn it off and then turn it on again, this makes the phone look for the new sim.

failing that keep using your old sim until it goes dead and where your phone says at the top your network it will change to “no network” or “no sim” then put ya new sim into the phone.

My apologies, but a sim swap will not fix this issue and should not be done in this case.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A check in My O2 will show two contracts so I'm with @MI5 on this. A sim swap is not the way to go in this case and will just see two bills issued.

Message 5 of 5