cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New pay monthly (17-Oct) *not* on Refresh tariff

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently joined o2 on a £38, 2-year pay monthly contract, which started on 17-Oct.

Before buying the phone (through www.mobiles.co.uk) I saw on the o2 site that "all new pay monthly contacts" would be on refresh tariffs.  However it appears this is not the case:  I've confirmed today that mine is a standard tariff.

According to the 02 online chat help, I have two options:

1. Stick with my standard tariff contract

2. Send back the phone within the cooling off period (still have ten days left), cancel the contract and start over again.

Option 1 is no good because I'm intending to upgrade my phone every year.

Can anyone confirm that I really am left with option 2?  i.e. I can't keep the phone and swap on to a Refresh tariff.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having checked the return policy, I need to send back the phone this week for a full refund. Then I pay a bit extra (£99 up front instead of £29) to get on the equivalent refresh tariff.

l'd rather just keep the phone, pay the extra £70 and be switched to refresh. The end result is the same but I guess I'm being naive to think it should be so easy.

On another subject, the new Note 4 is awesome slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You can only get refresh directly from O2 - Not from any other sites or traders.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You would have to return the phone and cancel the contract so look at the T&Cs of the supplier.

Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Your option 2 is your only option if you want to upgrade every year. You'd have to check your return options with mobiles.co.uk before you do anything.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Also factor in the fact that your tariff will be cheaper now than the equivalent refresh tariff.
Another option is to sell your current phone after 12 months and use it towards paying off the remaining contract (£456) and take a new one then.
Even on refresh you would still have to pay off the phone plan in 12 months time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks all for the confirmation - I'll check return terms and conditions with mobiles.co.uk

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The same refresh tariff is £5 a month more (£60 year).

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having checked the return policy, I need to send back the phone this week for a full refund. Then I pay a bit extra (£99 up front instead of £29) to get on the equivalent refresh tariff.

l'd rather just keep the phone, pay the extra £70 and be switched to refresh. The end result is the same but I guess I'm being naive to think it should be so easy.

On another subject, the new Note 4 is awesome slight_smile
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Your choice at the end of the day.
You still have the option of selling the phone towards the contract pay off after 12 months and remember in future that ONLY o2 can offer refresh.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11