Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiating upgrades?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this query has been posted a million times, but here goes:

I'm looking to upgrade my pay monthly contract Samsung Galaxy S2 from tomorrow to the S4.

I'd like to stick with O2 due to an inexplicable sense of loyalty on my part. However, having done some research and taking into account my needs, I have found at least 2 better deals from other mobile networks (Orange and Virgin).

My question is: Will O2 consider negotiating to match or indeed better these deals or should I just give my month's notice to cancel?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded today and even decided to stay with O2.

The upgrade team were willing to match a better tariff with Carphone Warehouse (on O2) and at the same price each month (£32). Although they were unable to lower the monthly cost (which is kind of what I was hoping for), I appreicated that they were willing to offer more to me at no extra cost to keep my custom.

I suppose it sometimes pays to shop around and do your research.

Thank you O2.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I can get a better deal whilst sticking with O2 if I buy through Carphone Warehouse - why is this?

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may get a price match but it doesn't happen often you may as well ask and if you don't get it switch networks

Carphone warehouse often do different/better deals your still with O2 so if its better for you go for it
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. If what you say is true, it seems strange and counter productive that a company would rather lose a customer of 'X' years rather than match a rival compny's tariff and keep them.

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know mate but loyalty counts for nothing with O2 these days sad but true
Message 5 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you can get a better deal on another network, then take it. O2 don't do loyalty discounts any more. Everyone is treated the same. Before you do switch, make sure you can get the same kind of coverage with the new network as you have with O2, if you're happy with the way your phone works now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
If you upgrade on o2 at cpw or other independent you still will be an o2 customer but cpw buy in bigger bulk etc and pass discounts on that o2 cannot.

So it is up to you but many threads if you use the search function.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded today and even decided to stay with O2.

The upgrade team were willing to match a better tariff with Carphone Warehouse (on O2) and at the same price each month (£32). Although they were unable to lower the monthly cost (which is kind of what I was hoping for), I appreicated that they were willing to offer more to me at no extra cost to keep my custom.

I suppose it sometimes pays to shop around and do your research.

Thank you O2.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
My bad. There were similar posts when I checked. I'm too lazy!
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow i'm doing the exact same thing and i'm wanting the exact same phone! haha

Phones4u have told me they'll give me the phone for free, unlim mins/texts, 1gb data, £30cashback for £32 per month.

Unfortunatly loyalty means nothing to phone networks anymore 😞  unfortuantly though if you've no choice but to stay (can't get coverage with anyone else) then look round thrid party companies like phones4u and carphone warehouse. It's worth ringing round the third parties just to see what they can offer....

But remember, third parties cannot change anything like minutes, texts or data. Thats given to them from the networks (o2, virgin, orange, etc).

However while they have no power here they do have the power to reduce the price of handsets and offer cashback deals. (go instore and you'll proberbly be offered accessories too).

Remember that other networks are unlikey to offer you a special deal as to them, you're just a new customer.

If your happy to leave, you've got a better deal, and o2 won't budge then maybe its time to JUST LEAVE slight_smile

Message 10 of 10