cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@O2Waqas wrote:

@MI5 thank you for the tag, apologies for the delayed response

@Penny7 i will send you a private message so we can look into this for you, 

Thanks 

Waqas 

@O2Waqas You don't seem to have taken on board the scale of the problem. We are receiving dozens of complaints about scam charges made last night by this company. It isn't just @Penny7 . Whether these charges are a deliberate scam or the result of a coding error O2's standard response  of "it's nothing to do with us" won't wash this time! Just look here to get some idea of the scale of the problem! https://who-called.co.uk/Number/84222 Over 70 complaints in the past 24 hours!

It's about time that this scammy system was abandoned. Consumers should not be charged for receiving unsolicited texts.

We'll put together a lengthier post with consumer advice on dealing with these charges, but we're waiting to see what O2 do. Will they take some responsibility?

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 31 of 113

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Obviously the two tier system is NOT working. There again, people are being charged for receiving the texts whether they have responded to them or not!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 113

WMJ
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have been charged for these texts. I’ve blocked the number now but how do
I report this?
Message 33 of 113

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@WMJ 

It has been reported to O2.

We're waiting for a response to know what to do next.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 113

RachNotts
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This happened to me yesterday (26 messages) and I got charged 83p per message...  or at least as much as could be charged until my spend cap was reached (which was the only way I found out about it - when I got a message from O2 about my cap being reached).

O2 are no help dealing with this - gave me a 55pm a minute number to call; won't refund what is clearly spamming behaviour.

Message 35 of 113

KayBeeSp
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This also happened to me. There are now £15 of charges on my account. I have also reported it to the PSA and Action Fraud. In my opinion all premium rate charges should be turned OFF on EVERYONE’S account unless they intentionally subscribe and can prove they are over 18. That should stop this kind of fraud happening.
Message 36 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@KayBeeSp @Penny7 @RachNotts @WMJ 

In the absence of a steer from O2 staff, we’ll try to offer some advice on the assumption that O2 won’t help. (This may not be true as a few consumers have reported being refunded by O2. Maybe it depends on who you are and who you speak to).

This has the appearance of a “scam gone wrong”. They probably only intended to make a single charge to each number, hoping and expecting that many of the texts and charges would not be noticed or challenged. That’s usually how these scams work. Although each consumer loses very little, if enough consumers are sent the texts, it can be very profitable.

The fundamental problem here is that O2 are allowed to operate as a payment processor (like Paypal), but without any of the safeguards required by the PSD2 regulations. Paypal are legally required to properly authenticate payments, and to provide a means of disputing unrecognised or unlawful charges. The exemption from PSD2 enjoyed by the telecom companies is, in our view, being abused by O2.

The standard response of O2 to these scams is to say that they are nothing to do with them and refuse to get involved. It is very clear in this case that a large number of O2 customers have received substantial fraudulent charges, and we would hope that O2 would recognise that they need to get involved and sort this out for their customers.

If O2 won’t help, you will need to take action yourself. Because this has happened at the weekend, many steps will not be possible until Monday. Register a complaint with the Phone-paid Services Authority.  This can be done online here: https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue  It is not true that you have to contact the service provider first. Making these charges without consent is a clear breach of the Code of Practice and should be reported, regardless of whether or not you ultimately receive a refund.

You should then try to contact the “service provider”, Mobclix Media Ltd. Details below.

Customer care number

Customer care email

customer.service@freeb.me

Customer care website

http://www.freeb.me/terms_conditions

Postal address

Moblix Media Limited
1 City Road East
Manchester
M15 4PN
United Kingdom

Service providers are only required to provide customer service during working hours Monday to Friday.

The 84222 shortcode is actually operated by a payment aggregator called Tap2Bill. This company has been involved with numerous other scam services in the past, but has somehow managed to escape the scrutiny of the regulator. Make sure that you also complain to them. Details below.

Customer care number

Customer care email

customer.service@tap2bill.com

Postal address

Tap2Bill Limited
5 St. John's Lane
Farringdon
London
EC1M 4BH
United Kingdom

It is important that consumers realise that the phone companies allow third parties to place charges on your bill without any proof of your consent. There are “rules” in place which are supposed to be followed and should protect against fraudulent charges. However, nobody is responsible for checking that these rules are obeyed. New rules introduced in November 2019 have done much to reduce the incidence of fraud. However, there is nothing to stop these scam companies making fraudulent charges, because nobody checks. It is our view that if O2 want to process third party payments, they should be subject to the same FCA regulation as everyone else.

Make sure that you ask O2 to bar all third party charges on your account. For a full explanation of why this is important, look here:  https://psconsumers.org.uk/why-you-need-a-charge-to-mobile-bar/

We stand ready to help consumers affected by these charges. Contact us here:  https://psconsumers.org.uk/contact/.

I’ll try to respond to some of the more specific points in your posts later today.

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 37 of 113

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Excellent post Paul @Payforit_Sucks , thanks.

It would also appear that a spend cap is stopping these charges or at least stopping them once a spend cap is reached, so customers may wish to call O2 and set a zero spend cap on their accounts Guide: Spend caps on O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 38 of 113

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Hey all,

Thank you for your reports and highlighting this. We have been informed of a technical issue from the merchant behind these texts, who is currently investigating. In the meantime we'd like to assure you that you'll be refunded for any messages received from this shortcode during this timeframe, and you'll also be contacted shortly once the refund is complete.

Sorry again for any confusion or frustration this has caused.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 39 of 113

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Pleased that O2 have seen sense and done the only right thing thy could do, however, these are not "merchants" so when will there be customer protection in place from these thieves in the first place?

Currently using:
Message 40 of 113