Did you mean: 

Move from contract to SIM only

Smithee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

My contract is due to end 24/02/22 and I would like to go to a SIM only deal.  I've only ever been on contract so have ended up a little confused.

I've looked at the tariffs offered via the upgrade option in My o2 but they are pretty much the same as my current tariff now (which is also paying off the handset) and have less data!  The cheapest (and most appropriate) deal I found is through MoneySuperMarket.  

Am I right in thinking if I purchase from MoneySuperMarket, it won't be considered an upgrade (even though clicking their link takes me to the o2 page and puts it in the basket there)? And in that case, do I need to do anything to cancel my contract or will that happen automatically on the 24th?

In any event, I'm assuming I would have to do the sim swap thing to get my existing number on the new sim?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Smithee 

The link from MSM takes you to O2 where you can just upgrade as if you were doing it directly with O2.

No messing about required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10259 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@Smithee 

Your current contract will not end automatically on the 24th, and it will roll onto a sim only. 

You would have to sign up for a new contract via MoneySuperMarket, and pass all the credit checks etc, and once you have your new sim, contact o2, and migrate the number across full details are here Guide: Migration & porting into O2

If you do it before the 24th you may be charged for any minimum term left.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Smithee 

The link from MSM takes you to O2 where you can just upgrade as if you were doing it directly with O2.

No messing about required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3