Did you mean: 

Mobile phone upgrade questions

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

This is the 1st contract phone ive had so never done the whole upgrade thing. Got a few questions if someone could kindly answer them. My contract on my S3 expires on the 13th Feb. So

1) Can i just go in the shop on the 13th, pick a new phone and tariff and its as simple as that?

2) My S3 is a 3G SIM so i take it i will need a new SIM for 4G. Will the shop be able to transfer my number over to the new SIM? They did this when i went from PAYG to contract

3)Can i sort out my NHS discount and remove insurance cover (i currently have insurance on this contract but dont want it anymore) while in the shop?

4)What happens regarding my current bill, as there will be some overlap as my last bill on my current contract wont be due until the end of the month?

Thank you slight_smile

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@paulbacon wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi

1) if this is your first contract phone you will need a credit check

Thanks. Ive had a contract phone now for 2 years, this is just an upgrade so assume i wont need any credit check as i had that last time?

Hi Paul....No you are absolutely correct you won't need a credit check if you have been on contract before

(as long as your account has been managed properly with no payment defaults)

Apologies.... I read your first post as "This is the 1st contract phone ive had"  and was relating to my own experience wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 51

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@paulbacon wrote:

We have had ongoing issues with o2 and coverage at work now for years.

Seems Friends and Family is a better discount than the NHS one, and have a friend who works for o2 so could ask him instead to do the discount

If you have coverage issues, perhaps you should be looking at what other networks might be better for you, unless the problem only exists at work and you're okay elsewhere.

As far as 3G or 4G goes, your new phone will always seek out the strongest signal.

No issues with o2 other than at work, which is sods law really. Seems with mobile networks its choose the best of a bad bunch, as i know people that have left Orange because of poor coverage too

Message 12 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always lock your phone to 3G/2G whilst at work via the settings. This might give an overall more reliable signal. I do the same thing at work.

Will also save some battery life as the phone is not constantly seeking out the unreliable 4G and switching between the two.

Message 13 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Friends and Family gives you 50% but NHS is only 30% so use F&F if you can (airtime discount only)....
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Open-and-Friends-and-Family-Discount-Schemes...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 51

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You can always lock your phone to 3G/2G whilst at work via the settings. This might give an overall more reliable signal. I do the same thing at work.

Will also save some battery life as the phone is not constantly seeking out the unreliable 4G and switching between the two.

Yea thats what i will do. Trouble is the o2 mast in on our works building so will always go to 4g as its the strongest signal, just 4g is terrible so have to force phones into 3g

Message 15 of 51

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
One more thing i actually forgot. Can they transfer all my contacts over to the new sim?
Message 16 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I'm afraid not.

If you use gmail then you can use that to transfer contacts.

Edit : which phone are you going to choose so we can suggest methods.
Message 17 of 51

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Phone shops used to have a machine that would transfer contacts between sim cards but not sure if they still have them now as I guess most people back up to Google/iCloud etc......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 19 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Phone shops used to have a machine that would transfer contacts between sim cards but not sure if they still have them now as I guess most people back up to Google/iCloud etc......

When I went instore for them to do my sim swap, the first thing they asked was were my contacts backed up and via what? As you know @MI5  they were...(thanks to you LOL)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 51