Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misinformed about Early Termination Fee

Paula26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I purchased a Virgin deal that came with an O2 sim. I was told that i could cancel within 42 days and not receive and early termination fee. I phoned O2 within this time period to cancel the contract as the service I was receiving was almost unusable. On the phone I made it very clear to O2 support that I wanted to leave O2, and asked if there would be an early termination fee, and the answer I was given was no. The women on the phone had gave me a call reference number to quote when I call back once my final bill had been generated so that O2 could waive the early termination fee, she also advised to cancel my direct debit so that no extra money would he taken. I have proof of the conversation from the advisor that I could cancel in 42 days and not be charged.

A couple of days ago I received a bill for £400. I phoned back O2 and spoke to a representative who said a £15 credit had been applied. I informed them that the full balance was to be wiped and he said that there was nothing that could be done, i asked to speak to a manager and I am now waiting for a call back.

I have already taken out a deal with a different network, i have the proof of the chat and the call reference number regarding the final payment being £0.

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@TT3-0 From my understanding from the Virgin side of things the 42 days was for the complete package.

However, you need to cancel the broadband first then ask them to put you through to O2 as the only way they can waive the 14 day rule is when they are informed the broadband is cancelled 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

I'll ask one of the forum advisors to contact you on this.

She will be on duty tomorrow morning 

Look out for a message

@O2Georgina can you look into this for @Paula26 please?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

O2Georgina
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

Morning, Thankyou for the tag @Enlli 

@Paula26  I will send you a private message now

signature
Message 3 of 9

TT3-0
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Was this resolved? I was also told 42 days and am thinking of leaving but I’m over the 14 days and within 42 days. I don’t want to swap one headache with O2 for another.

Message 4 of 9

Enlli
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@TT3-0 From my understanding from the Virgin side of things the 42 days was for the complete package.

However, you need to cancel the broadband first then ask them to put you through to O2 as the only way they can waive the 14 day rule is when they are informed the broadband is cancelled 

Message 5 of 9

Tot1984
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have exactly the same issue, can someone help me please.

Message 6 of 9

Enlli
  • 6693 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@Tot1984 Have you cancelled the Broadband side first. The extended cooling off period involves the whole package. O2 need to know you have cancelled with Virgin to remove the normal 14 day rule 

Also, as it was a package your broadband price is reliant on you having an O2 phone. If you remove just the phone at this stage you will need to renegotiate your Broadband.

Message 7 of 9

Paula26
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still not resolved, I have been on the phone and was told a manager would phone back (which is yet to happen, this was over 3 weeks ago) thankfully @O2Georgina has been helpful and is trying to resolve the situation. To make matter worse my virgin service hasn’t even been installed yet as it keeps getting delayed and it was ordered in January. 

Message 8 of 9

Paula26
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My Virgin has yet to even be installed so the contract has not yet started. The virgin advisor advised I could cancel within 14 days of installation and no fees would be charged ( i have proof of this) so it will be interesting to see what happens

Message 9 of 9