Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to join Pay Monthly

MattHead93
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As the title says, I am looking to join pay monthly.

I am looking at the new HTC One £17/month contract for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data - however, the spanner in the works is the handset cost of £450. I understand that with a brand new flagship phone the cost will not be low. 

However, if I decided to hold on for the price to drop, how long would I expect to wait for what reduction in price? (For example, 6 weeks for a £50 drop)

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MattHead93
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi Toby, 

I've decided that I will probably go for the Pay Monthly option at £17/month and £450 handset  cost for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data. This is because it works out cheapest over the 24 month term. However, a close second was the O2 Refresh option, as for only a very little amount more you can have twice as many minutes and an extra 50% data (750MB vs 500MB) - so this option would better suit those who make a lot of phone calls. Unfortunately, I don't fall into this category, despite the extra data which I covet!

Which brings me on to another question - usually with my HTC Desire, I've only used about 250MB of data a month, am I right in thinking 500MB should still be comfortable for the HTC One? Even with the constant updating for Blinkfeed?

I'm thinking about popping into my local store mid-week if they have stock of the phone, rather than ordering it online. If I have any revelations relating to my topic I shall let you all know slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may see some drop in price but its unlikely for a while I personally think at that money I would buy the phone sim free and take on a simplicity contract
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You may see some drop in price but its unlikely for a while I personally think at that money I would buy the phone sim free and take on a simplicity contract

Great advice damien, always better to go sim-free if you can afford it, though at current prices that's not always possible. If you can afford to stretch your monthly payment, the best deals around ATM are aroung £32 with free handset.

Message 3 of 12

MattHead93
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I have looked into down that route - for the contract I will have a total cost of £858, whereas SIM-free and my current tarriff (Unlimited text and web) works out to be £840, which is only a slight saving. Additionally, I also have those 300 minutes that are included on the contract.

Thank you for your responses!

Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You could move to pay as you go go go to get more for your top up. Sim free phones are not tied to slow network updates either. You get them direct from the manufacturer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

you could look at the new o2 refresh tariff where you are on an airtime agreement plus a seperate handset agreement where you get to cover the cost of the purchase of the phone on how much you want to pay each month

Message 6 of 12

MattHead93
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for your reply. I had noticed that O2 Refresh, but had not fully looked into it - now that I have, I have found a £12/month airtime contract and £10/month handset contract with a £350 upfront payment. However, this works out still to be slightly more expensive than the original contract (£878 vs £858). Although this does give me twice as many minutes (although, will be surplus!), it adds extra data (my current concern), but I am trying to find the lowest monthly cost, whilst reaping all of the Pay Monthly benefits!

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

hope you find what you are after

Message 8 of 12

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi MattHead93,

Have you decided on what you'll do?

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know how you get on slight_smile
Message 10 of 12