cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just like Mums everywhere, I've apparently been to Iceland?

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 3rd of May this year, I boarded a ferry in Portsmouth and 24 hours later docked in Bilbao, Spain. Whilst onboard I had no mobile phone connection. No data access.

I checked my bill when I got home this weekend and I've been billed £40 for "Non-EU browse and download" on the exact date I was on a boat, country code "ISL". 

Has anyone else had this happen?

I've had an online chat with O2 twice now. The second time they had no record of my first query about this. This time again they said they will investgate it.

I'm quite loath to pay £40 on my bill and wait for them to investgate when I'm on a £27-a-month contract!

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be advisable to turn mobile data off on the phone before boarding the ship if you still wish to be able to use the ship's phone mast for calls/texts etc.

Before going on a cruise, it is good to check who the phone mast they provide, if any, is with. Their website or brochure should always tell the host country and so you can go to o2.co.uk/international to find out the charges.

Message 21 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Opium...ahh NOW I get itSmiley Embarassed Having just sorted all this out when flying to Spain, I began to think I wouldnt be using the ferry, but understand now. (mind you I will still fly as I get to the sun, just that bit fasterSmiley LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@opium this is another issue with the new international pages there is no ferry / cruise ship info yet there was in the old international pages.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the result of my enquiries with O2. They are adamant that I did use 24MB of data and they will not remove the £40 charge from my bill. I was on the phone to them for some time whilst they explained to me that my smart phone may have been downloading emails, etc.

I know I didn't get any data. If it had even connected in the middle of the night I'd have had the email on my phone in the morning. As it happens I was even awake in the night getting some fresh air for my sea legs!

I was passed onto someone of a different gender (may or may not have been a higher level of the complaints tree) and told again that they would not remove the £40 charge.

I asked how much it would cost to cancel my contract, so I'll be going down that route now. Well done O2, that's the way to lose your customer of 6 years.

Message 24 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's a shame but maybe you should make an official complaint to see if they will bend a little.

O2 | How to complain

Message 25 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but in this case I think they will stick to their guns and say I used the data, and have to pay. I'll wait the 8 weeks required and contact the ombudsman to see if I can get it resolved.

I was passed to their "retention" department. I'm paying around £85 to end my contract five months early and they actually said "It's a shame to pay that money for nothing", meaning the £85!

Message 26 of 36

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

To go to the ombudsman you will need to use the complaints review service as that is the last layer of the o2 complaints procedure and only then will the 8 week deadlock be invoked.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 27 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to complain in a posted letter. I'm done listening to the hold-music.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Whilst sticking my letter together I found this SMS message from "O2Roaming" on my phone, sent whilst I was on the ferry:

Welcome to ICELAND. You’re on O2 Travel. Data costs £1.99 per day. Calls to the UK/EU cost 50p to connect, then it’s free to talk for the first 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Answering your phone also costs 50p to connect and then it’s free to talk for up to 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Texts are 8.5p (and free to receive). Prices inc. VAT. Further info Freephone 2266. Emergency services call 112.

Message 28 of 36

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Yet another mess up that would be true for Iceland but ferry ships are not at that rate as your data charge confirms.

On your bill How many Mb did you use when on Iceland network?

Apple Watch series 4

Message 29 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

24Mb apparently. It felt much less!

Message 30 of 36