Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s

Zeg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had a couple of wobbles on my iPhone 5s in the last week on both occasions I lost network services, and on both occasions I was being told I was waiting for an update from my carrier although the phone itself is telling me that the phone was up-to-date. This first occurred after an iOS upgrade, Then again after I attempted to restore the phone from the backup. Apple talked to me through it on both occasions. On the second occasion I went back to factory settings and then reloaded. During the factory reset the box appeared asking if I wanted to download the software update from the carrier I.E.02. Obviously I said yes and all was good. I wonder if any other users have encountered this issue and whether there is something missing, That he is preventing the carrier software from upgrading when O2 updating the operating system, And whether it is possible to force upgrading of the carrier software if the phone is adamant that the software is up-to-date
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

O2Abigail
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 42 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
With the iPhones the older ones don't support the newer IOS updates so this may be one of the issues that the phone needs updating but can't update anymore as the software in the newer IOS updates won't support the iPhone 5s, you may need an upgrade but you can check on your myo2 if you are eligible for one and if so contact o2 either in shops or over the phone for this.

I hope this is helpful.
signature
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Yes it's pretty old model @Zeg 

I think it's probably time for a newer model. O2 tend to have a good variety of phones which are refurbished and haven't heard any complaints about those.

If you can afford to buy outright you could check out Amazon as well. Or even CEX who have 2nd hand phones with a 3 month warranty.

Just some ideas. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

Zeg
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm loathe to buy second hand and a new upgrade is not an option.

Unless O2 and Apple are no longer supporting the 5s, there should be no reason why an IOS upgrade should be an issue.

I'm curious for both myself and the wider community for a solution and ask if any other users have experienced the same problem.

Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Zeg 

Statement from Apple (via the Express) published September 2019

Most iPhone owners across the globe will be enjoying the delights of iOS 13 tonight as iOS 13 has just been released.

But that won't be the case if you have a much older model in your pocket.

Apple confirmed back in June that some versions of its popular smartphone, including the iPhone 6, won't be compatible with this blockbuster upgrade.

Every year, Apple has to decide which devices are no longer capable of running its latest operating system and in 2019 you'll need at least an iPhone 6s if you want to get all the new features.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1179859/Apple-iPhone-6-iPhone-5s-OS-13-not-c... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144367 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
To be fair to Apple, they do support their devices much longer than Android does (It's the only good thing I could think of :P)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
To be fair to Apple, they do support their devices much longer than Android does (It's the only good thing I could think of :P)

Yes but sadly not the 5s in this instance.  slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Zeg
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They are still providing iOS 12 upgrades for the 5S. It was one of these that caused the problem last time. I have just encrypt it back up to my computer in case it goes again. But I’ve also turned off automatic upgrades. If I have to give the phone up I shall probably switch to a medium range Samsung
Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Best of luck @Zeg 

My son has the iPhone 6 and he keeps moaning about it. He needs a new one but can't afford it currently.

Having said that, he has been into Apple stores (before they closed for lockdown) and they have been very good in fixing the issues for a limited charge.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Zeg
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If you can get them on the phone they’ll do it for nothing, If it’s a software issue
Message 10 of 11