cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to formally cancel a contract with O2?

BRS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I've only very recently joined O2 for the first time and am unimpressed with most aspects of the service so far. I received a pay monthly SIM from the website and I'm well within the 14 day cooling off period.

I've requested and received a PAC and cancelled the DD. Is there anything else I need to do? The SMS containing the PAC says "If you're on sim only, you'll need to call us before we can process your switching request" but frankly I've had enough of my time wasted being put on hold and arguing with customer service already so would prefer to use email if possible.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Using the PAC will automatically end any contract so I'm not aware of any processing needed when sim only

Anything outstanding will need to be paid but just be aware that if it's a small amount then o2 do not always notify you so you need to chase this up with customer service.

That in itself is a royal pain in the butt

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@BRS See this: Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

There is no email address. If the SMS said call, then that's what you need to do. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@BRS 

Cancelling your DD is possibly the worst thing to have done, as until you physically notify o2 of cancellation via customer services and using the information @Bambino has given you, you are still in contract. 

Cancelling the DD,  doesn't cancel your commitment to o2, and o2 (as all networks do) come after you for the outstanding bills and will damage your credit file.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 13

BRS
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino 

From the link you posted it would appear that using the PAC effectively terminates the contract.

Under the new process your old supplier can no longer charge you a notice period for leaving and your old service will terminate automatically on the date arranged with your new network

@madasaf1sh, there is nothing wrong with cancelling the DD. This prevents the supplier from overcharging a final bill. If anything is outstanding (which is arguable) they are welcome to send me an invoice which I will happily pay if I agree to the amount.

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@BRS 

If you do not inform O2 that you wish to cancel under the change of mind policy, they will bill you for the entire contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

BRS
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They are very welcome to try.

Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@BRS If you're willing to put your credit rating in jeopardy over this, that's your choice. The advice you are being given is from many years experience of seeing situations like this. If O2 thinks you owe money, they take no prisoners.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

BRS
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, they would ultimately need to convince a county court judge in order to seriously damage my credit rating. An erroneous default isn't hard to remove either. Of course, this is all academic because as stated, I'm happy to pay any balance actually owed (which will maybe amount to a week of airtime), but that's all about it. Appreciate your concern though!

Message 8 of 13

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

The way that I see it, you've two choices...

1. Take the advice given, and cancel the contract properly
  2. Spend ages going round in circles afterwards, because "it's the principle that counts"

Good luck if you choose option 2

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 9 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Using the PAC will automatically end any contract so I'm not aware of any processing needed when sim only

Anything outstanding will need to be paid but just be aware that if it's a small amount then o2 do not always notify you so you need to chase this up with customer service.

That in itself is a royal pain in the butt

Message 10 of 13