cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I be charged for mobile data.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

...if I've turned off data roaming and mobile data in settings why am I still getting charged £1 whenever I leave my home?

My mobile is a Samsung J3 and it is 4G connectivity. I'm on PAYG.

Since typing this I have created a new fake access point name to prevent connection and dropped the 4G down to 3G because I'm running out of cash and patience!

Surely I shouldn't have to resort to delving in deeper to solve the problem (if indeed it will work).

Again, if I turn off the settings to allow my phone to connect to a network for internet access when I do not want it to charge me then surely it shouldn't charge me?!

Yet it is. :confused

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous, how is it going? Did you manage to resolve this or are you still experiencing the issue? Any help from the above advice?

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies.

So it's been a while and I've not had any chance to test this problem since I set up a fake access point to deny the phone connection when I get out of the house.

To address a couple points:

Mobile Data and Data Roaming are always turned off. Mobile Data will ONLY get turned on when I want to access the internet away from home.

I was only noticing being charged for internet access when I was out of the house, away from my home WIFI..on 4G setting, with both Data Roaming and Mobile Data disabled in settings. I may have turned on WIFI briefly on a rare occasion to see if I got a connection to anything and then turned it off again when no viable WIFI hotspots showed up that I could freely connect to.

When I connect to WIFI (via home router) I do not get charged for using the internet on my phone, with both Data Roaming and Mobile Data disabled in settings.

When I do want to use the internet on my phone when out and about, I enable Mobile Data. 4G setting would normally be set as default.

I will be out of the house tomorrow so I will be able to experiment a little more and actually observe what is happening on the phone as opposed to just noticing the little pop-up notification when I take my phone out my pocket when I get back home.

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so it has been a few months now.

Still been having the same issue, even with my 'fake' access point name, wifi turned off and mobile data turned off.

But I believe I may have solved the issue for good this time after delving deeper.

Google Play store..a setting I discovered that is there by default is auto-update apps. This was set to update apps at any time (May incur charges). Not sure if this needs mobile data turned on to work though, it doesn't say.

I set it to update over wifi instead.

We shall see if this does the trick finally.

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

So nope, not even that stopped O2 from taking random £1 for internet access from my PAYG phone even when I've not been using it.

So nuclear option..........getting rid of O2 PAYG.

Message 14 of 14