Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed: Unable to Access eSIM QR Code While Abroad

Chenhed
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently facing a rather challenging situation and would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice. I'm an O2 customer currently in the United States and unable to return to the UK. Here’s the issue:

A few weeks ago, I requested to transfer my existing eSIM to a new phone. O2 informed me that a new eSIM QR code was sent to me. However, the QR code is only accessible through the O2 app, which requires me to log in using an SMS verification code (I don't have any device that is already logged into the app). Unfortunately, my current SIM card was disabled immediately after I spoke with the assistant on the phone, so I’m unable to receive the SMS and log in to the app.

Because of this, I'm stuck without access to my phone number and unable to use my O2 services. I have all the necessary identification, including my passport, registered email, and answers to security questions, but I can’t visit an O2 store in person to resolve this.

Is there any way I can receive the eSIM QR code via email or through another secure method that doesn’t require SMS verification? Has anyone else faced a similar issue while abroad?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38218 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

This section, as you wrote, is the bugbear with which O2 have saddled themselves and their customers, @Chenhed:

"Unfortunately, my current SIM card was disabled immediately after I spoke with the assistant on the phone, so I’m unable to receive the SMS and log in to the app."

Catch-22!

Have you tried to reach out to O2 via X or Facebook? The Social Media Team are good at thinking outside the box, something the call centre staff cannot do so well as their scripted q&a process can't cater for the failings in their own processes so easily.

The MyO2 App, if you have it installed on a phone somewhere, seems less likely to need the SMS, as it integrates with the biometric scan these days, unlike the Web-based MyO2 service that needs that OTAC or OTP every time.

Good luck, @Chenhed 

Message 2 of 2