cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GiffGaff slammed, using a MVNO has its downfalls

Anonymous
Not applicable

MVNO's can promise you everything and at a cheap rate, but what do we really know about an MVNO??

well a MVNO is a Mobile Virtual Network operator that piggy backs off someone else i.e. Lebara uses Voda, tesco uses o2 etc. they buy a bundle of mins, texts off the network and space on masts then sells this onto their customers as a package,

so who can start a MVNO? any one can, even i could and call it JayJay superway... But what goes on behind the scenes?? well this is a small insight to Giffgaff customers and what customers are facing?? 

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2014/08/08/giffgaff-users-slam-poor-quality-service/

in short, sometimes its better to spend that extra quid a month and go to the network direct! 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
I'd be grateful for 1mbps in some areas on O2!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've used GiffGaff and calls and texts have been fine.

For me it's just been the internet that has at times been lacking.

On balance I know others that have been more than happy with virtual networks. slight_smile
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

here you go mate this will, tell you why:

A number of users complaining of poor download speeds as firm introduces traffic management policies

Discount prepay brand giffgaff is facing a deluge of complaints from users complaining about poor quality of service on its network.

The O2 MVNO has acknowledged the issue in a series of posts dating back to May where it claimed that 0.2 per cent of its customer base on unlimited download packages, were using 17 per cent of its bandwidth.

It implemented a number of measures including restricting download speeds to just 256kbps during peak hours and banning members who are ‘abusing’ unlimited download packages.

Message 4 of 25

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 5 of 25

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
TM is a recent addition to gg in an attempt to control the poor O2 data infrastructure....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just experienced lag or crashes using them , not all the time but enough to spoil the experience.

I'll stick with 50mbps on o2's 4G.
Message 7 of 25

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
You hope wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

im all for a fair use policy but if something is unlimyed, your gonna use it so why its condeming users for that is beyond me. when i was with t-mobile I had teh full monty and i was forever tethering on their internet and i never got a shoeing!! 

Message 9 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol yeah I know what you mean.

I read of all these people suffering congestion or mast issues, leaving me feeling a little guilty 😞

I've been using 4G for a number of months now with no degradation in speed thus far ~ fingers crossed.
Message 10 of 25