Did you mean: 

Fraudulent 02 contract set up.

NikkiNo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, 

I've been a customer of 02 for numerous years and have a current contract with them. Today I received a letter from 02 regarding a new contract which has been set up in my name and address which includes an £800 iPad. I immediately contacted 02 who reported this would be escalated to the fraud department, I've also completed a form online on Action fraud and contacted my bank. I'm astounded someone has managed to get hold of an £800 device without any ID? 

I'm literally in the process of applying for my first mortgage and this account has already popped up on my credit report. From reading posts in this forum it looks like a matter of time until payments are missed from this account impacting my credit score. I'm so anxious about this and it appears as though I'm unlikely to get a call back as advised in 10 working day from the fraud department from reviewing similar posts on here! Does anyone have any positive stories or advice on how I take this further, or any action I haven't yet taken? 

I really appreciate any advice and thanks in advance, 

Nikki

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@NikkiNo 

Nothing you can really do, until the fraud team conclude there investigations, and they might not tell you the outcome if it needs to be passed to the Police to investigate. 

Its quite easy online, all they need is your personal details such as DOB, address, your full name, and for them to match what is held by the Credit Reference Agencies... 

And it is surprising what people post on social media...

I would start by checking your credit reports and also raising a dispute / adding a note of correction to your credit report to advise any lender looking at your credit file, this is done via the CRA's

I would also let your bank know that you have been the victim of fraud, possibly identity fraud and they will be able to help you as well. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@NikkiNo 

Nothing you can really do, until the fraud team conclude there investigations, and they might not tell you the outcome if it needs to be passed to the Police to investigate. 

Its quite easy online, all they need is your personal details such as DOB, address, your full name, and for them to match what is held by the Credit Reference Agencies... 

And it is surprising what people post on social media...

I would start by checking your credit reports and also raising a dispute / adding a note of correction to your credit report to advise any lender looking at your credit file, this is done via the CRA's

I would also let your bank know that you have been the victim of fraud, possibly identity fraud and they will be able to help you as well. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

Pipstop78
Level 9: Fired up
  • 526 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

That's awful so sorry this has happened to you 

Message 3 of 4

Georgia8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This has happened to me and I'm not even a customer of O2. Contracts for 2 Iphone 14is and data plan has been set up in my name and address (not my bank account though) and it's been 4 months now with no response from O2 on how the fraud investigation is going. They keep saying a manager will call me back but they never do. They are still pursuing me for the debt and my credit score is reducing - it's well over the 30 days they quoted the investigation should take. The same thing happened with Three Mobile on the same day where a business account was set up in my name with them and they have done their investigation and written to me to say it's fraud and they will close down the account and remove the debt from my records. They also did inform credit agencies that it was my debt and so there was no impact on my credit score. Seems sensible to me so not sure why O2 haven't done the same. 

I've done all the above suggestions and have raised disputes through credit agencies etc - each time O2 respond to the agencies that they can't do anything and I need to contact them (which I've done a load of times). At one point they sent some weird response about that I might be a Virgin Media customer and they have merged so that could be what it is. But I'm not a Virgin Media customer and that's not what it is, it's clearly identity fraud. 

It would be good to know how this worked out for you in the end?  

Message 4 of 4