cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

Do O2 currently offer a route to early upgrade (I know they did a couple of years ago)?

To make things straight, I DO NOT want to get out of paying anything (seen those Qs before)!! I essentially would be willing to pay off the balance of my existing contract (4 months) in a lump sum, then upgrade to a new 24 month contract. I don't go over my allocations so I won't be doing O2 out of any money that way either.

I know I can pay off the contract in a lump sum and take out a new contract, but I'd really like to just upgrade the existing contract to avoid the nause of PACs and moving numbers to PAYG and back to contract etc etc.

Seems to me like it should be this easy, and I know in the past it has been, but is it now??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144862 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Yes, just pay off and take a new contract. You don't need PAC if staying with O2. Just call CS when you have your new contract and they will switch you over and cancel the old one which will generate your final bill for the old contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144862 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Yes, just pay off and take a new contract. You don't need PAC if staying with O2. Just call CS when you have your new contract and they will switch you over and cancel the old one which will generate your final bill for the old contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for the reply. Is it not possible to do this without taking a new contract?

It just seems a waste of time and effort on both sides to -

-set up new contract and DD,

-assign a number (for a short amount of time),

-pay lump sum and cancel old contract,

-move number.

The end result is the same as -

-pay lump sum to pay off existing contract,

-upgrade as normal.

This way negates the need to move numbers, set up new and cancel old DDs, prob run a credit check, etc, and has the same end result but is easier.

Cheers.

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 is correct unfortunately, it is just because of the terms of your contract.

The early upgrade option also doesn't have a cooling off period so there are benefits to the new contract!
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, just ring CS, they will charge a lump buy out fee on axisting contract and upgrade you, sell old phone to recycle, thanks

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. OK shall have a think about it then. Just seems a bit silly to have 5 steps when two will do for the same result, but if them's the rules then them's the rules! Cheers.

Message 6 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23184 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

What is the reason for you wanting to cancel the existing contract and get a new 24 month one?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't want to cancel the contract, I just want to upgrade. My handset is getting on a bit (was a poor choice of mine to pick this one I think), won't run some apps I want, runs other poorly, is laggy in general. It's not broken or anything, and it's not imperitive that I replace it, it's just if it was easy to upgrade early I was willing to pay the existing contract off (and flog this handset to cover most of the cost as it's in good nick) to get a shiny new handset! As it's a bit of a hassle I will just see this contract out then see what I want to do.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, just ring CS, they will charge a lump buy out fee on existing contract and upgrade you, sell old phone to recycle, thanks
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not what others are saying though. I'll give them a call and ask. I can imagine that it's a case of who you get on the other end of the line!

Message 10 of 15