Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speeds!

marvi0
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Changed my tariff from unlimited to 30gb data a month and surprise, surprise, the data speeds have gone up to over 140mbs per second. When I had unlimited data, was lucky to have over 20mbps. So does 02 restrict speeds on the unlimited data plans?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Yes they do @marvi0 

Vodafone do the same but theirs is restricted to 10mbps

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

marvi0
  • 23 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your input. Is there mentioned anywhere in the terms of condition?
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@marvi0 

It's very broadly covered in the "Fair use policy".

Data use: When you use a lot of data, it slows things down for everyone. So to keep things fair, we keep an eye on how much data you, and all our customers, are using. We can use appropriate traffic shaping or throttling measures to protect our network from types of data usage which we think might impact on levels of service for other customers. This may happen at specific times of day and/or in specific locations. We may impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed, remove access to your tariff allowances or Bolt Ons, impose further charges to your account, and/or disconnect your SIM card at any time. Information about traffic shaping and throttling can be found in our KFI (Key Facts Indicator) here. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but that "Fair Use Policy" statement applies to all tariffs, ans is (Should) be aimed at people who use an unlimited connection to download huge amounts of data, not your average user, after all if you pay for unlimited you will want to use it a lot...
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I don't make the rules.....
From my own experience and that of others, unlimited data is restricted for speed at all times.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

marvi0
  • 23 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I can't wait to leave at the end of my contract because of this. I never use over 10gb a month, but it's always slow and never above 20mbps, no matter how much I've used so what a waste in having unlimited data!
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I would have thought that speed was more than enough for the majority of streaming and downloading?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a lot of kidology nowadays when it comes to download speeds, speeds can be high but with poor overall quality, with Jitter and missed packets you will get a bad service - Sometimes just surfing the internet can be very slow even with 5Mbps when it should be fine.
Don't blame the customers when they expect what the ISP's promise.
Message 9 of 9