cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data allowance used when using home router?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I connect my phone though my home wi-fi router does my monthly allowance still get used up when using this connection method?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No it does not get used up, but you should make sure that your mobile's data connection is turned off.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
so I have to turn off 'Use Packet Data' when at home if I want to conserve data allowance?
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry...also does unused allowance get added onto my next months allowance (I am a very new user!)
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You need to be more specific about the phone you have, and no, your unused allowance does not roll over to the next month. You start again with what you have been alloted for the month.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a data plan on your phone I dont see the need to switch off packet data the amount used on the switch over from 3g to wifi is extremely small I doubt you would even notice it

Message 6 of 12

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a data plan on your phone I dont see the need to switch off packet data the amount used on the switch over from 3g to wifi is extremely small I doubt you would even notice it

It would depend on the amount of mb of the data plan the OP has opted for, wouldn't it? If you're using wi-fi there really is no need to use up any data that you're paying for.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whilst that is true the amount used when it switches from 3g to wifi is less than 1kb and I know I would rather use that then keep switching data on and off but its personal preference I suppose

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, It's a Galaxy Y and I have the basic 100Mb plan but don't plan to use the internet much except for google etc., no videos/utube etc.

Thanks for all the help, getting there! (wherever 'there' is)
Message 9 of 12

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, It's a Galaxy Y and I have the basic 100Mb plan but don't plan to use the internet much except for google etc., no videos/utube etc.

Thanks for all the help, getting there! (wherever 'there' is)

You may be planning not to use it much, but you never know, as you get more used to using the phone. If you only have a 100MB allowance you should just make sure that in your settings, Mobile Network is unticked when you're using wi-fi. It's not a great effort to do that, and you'll save your allowance for when you need it. Enjoy your new phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 12