Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Declined

AHirst44
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have recently been trying to join a sim only plan on O2, but when I get to the final page I get this message

"Your order can't be completed.

When you apply for an O2 contract we use business policies to check your application. This time, you didn’t meet our minimum level. To find out why, email CreditFileReferrals@O2.com.

If you prefer, you can write to:

Credit File Referrals
Suite XY
Arlington Business Centre
Millshaw Park Lane
Leeds

LS11 0NE"

I contacted the O2 live chat, who told me to contact Equifax. I have been on the phone to Equifax who have looked at my credit report, and they tell me there is nothing there to suggest I would fail the credit check. They told me to ring back O2, and insist a manual check of my report takes place. So I have rung O2 and told them this, but O2 tell me it's up to Equifax whether I pass or fail the check, not O2. 

I have emailed the credit file referalls, on 22/10/21, and 04/11/21 and have had no response to either email. When I try to get through to the credit file referalls via telephone, it stays on hold for a few minutes then cuts off.

What can I do about this? I'm being passed between O2 and Equifax, both saying the other is to blame, meanwhile I'm in the middle with an excellent credit report, confused as to why I cannot get accepted. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AHirst44 

There isn't any other way I'm afraid.

It won't have a negative impact on your credit "score" as it will just show as a search which will drop off after 30 days anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AHirst44 

There are no guarantees regardless of your credit report.

You've been rejected due to O2 policy so it's unlikely to get overturned, but CFR should get back to you within 10 working days.

Meanwhile, I'd look at other networks too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 33

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@AHirst44 If O2 have rejected you for whatever reason they've come up with it's likely to reflect in your credit report that any other network would also see if you applied to them. Best to get this cleared up with O2 so that your file is clean before you apply elsewhere. Otherwise you may wind up going in circles.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 33

AHirst44
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your response.

It’s been about 18 working days since my first email, and have had no response. Is their any other way of contacting them? Thanks 

Message 4 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AHirst44 

There isn't any other way I'm afraid.

It won't have a negative impact on your credit "score" as it will just show as a search which will drop off after 30 days anyway.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 33

mrjackster
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently stuck in a similar cycle. Never been declined credit, have been with O2 for 15 years, my entire business was with them and me as the decision maker and my son has a SIM on my account. My second son got a christmas phone and i'm being refused by O2 for an £8 a month SIM only!? I mean... 

Spoken to credit control who have passed it up the chain and they say usually 3 day response should offer some insight into what is happening. I have 100% credit score so it's something in O2's 'policy' for approvals - but no idea how to unravel why the system is declining. Some unbelievably rude an unhelpful 'new connections' sales agents too - bullish and completely unwilling to listen. 

Good luck. I'll let you know if i get anywhere.

0800 9777793 is the credit control number. They were super helpful though can't offer direct support and needed to fill in a form to go to the 'overlords' 😉

Message 6 of 33

Ibblybibbly
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, just had exactly the same and I am in the same position. I applied for 1 SIM for my wife, which went through, tried for another SIM for my daughter but was rejected as per above. Rang the 'new sales' number and got straight through, but he was just rude and unhelpful. Rang customer services but gave up after 30 mins on hold. What a joke.

Message 7 of 33

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Ibblybibbly 

You are not guaranteed to be allowed more than 1 connections on your account, and o2 won't tell you why you have been declined, but my guess is too many credit checks in a short space of time. 

@mrjackster 

Credit Scores are a made up number created to sell people services. Just because you have a 100% score doesn't mean you will get approved as o2 look at your credit file and make a decision based on risk, outstanding credit and other factors .. 

You are not entitled to an £8 sim only, and o2 can decline and accept who they want at the end of the day, and limit your number of connections

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 33

benlye
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Ibblybibbly and @mrjackster did you get anywhere? 

I'm now stuck in the same loop after doing more or less the same thing - I'm a new customer who just opened two accounts for 24m SIM contracts from the January sale (actually cancelled the first one as I signed up for the wrong tariff) and now cannot open another due to 'credit declined'.  Sales and customer server reps cannot help.  I've emailed the credit referral email address but not had a human being reply yet.

I also tried phoning the 0800 9777793 who (as above) were nice but couldn't actually help.

I don't mind if the solution is just to wait (well, I do as I won't be able to get the January sale tariff), but I'm really hoping that this *can* be solved by a speaking to a reasonable/rational human being who knows what the 'business policy' which has prevented me signing up actually is as I want to move my family of 5 over to O2, but if it goes like this every time I may give up.

Message 9 of 33

Hanif786
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am also in the same situation with the "Unable to continue. Your order can't be completed" message, when applying for a £6/month SIM only 12 month contract (via Uswitch). I've never had issues before in applying for credit.

Can anyone please help? @Ibblybibbly and @mrjackster has there been any progress with your issues?

Message 10 of 33