Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for calls I didn’t make or receive

Ian0847
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am in the US for eight weeks. I do not use my phone for calls while in the US – only for Wifi - unless there is a family emergency. My wife’s mobile is with a different provider, and her package provides inclusive calls without charge while we are over here so we use that.

I have just received my latest O2 bill and it includes £30 for “calls made/received while abroad”, from and to an unknown number - which I did not receive or make, and which do not show up on my iPhone under “all calls” or “calls missed”.

The number is 1 44 07829736461

They have been coming in most days since they started, and last 13 seconds. The times of the calls vary and on at least one day there are multiple calls. The charges indicate that the incoming call is responded to by an outgoing call from my phone also for 13 seconds. These are not made by me and again do not show up on my iPhone calls list.

As the calls do not ring or show up on my phone I have no way of blocking the offending number. I have also searched it on Google with no success. I do not wish to call it back as I suspect I will be hit with a very high charge.

I have called O2 help, They have kindly credited back the charges, but have told me there is no way of blocking the number or tracing who is making the calls. Apparently the only thing I can do is set my phone to Airplane Mode while I am abroad. 

Alternatively I was recommended to buy the Travel Bolt On, but that would simply cause a £6 charge to be implemented every time one of these unwanted calls was automatically responded to. That would result in paying even more than I am currently suffering!

so…… questions:

1. has anyone else had this problem?

2. does anyone know how to stop it?

3. does anyone know how to block the number, which, as I said, does not show up on my calls list?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

I suspect the incoming calls are going out to your phone and then being sent back to your voicemail.

Do you have 4G Calling Turned on as without that the call would be rejected and hence the return leg to answerphone.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 19

Ian0847
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

PS I have of course realised I can block the number by setting it up as a contact first, then blocking it.

Message 3 of 19

Ian0847
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks - I have checked voicemail and have no messages showing/waiting there, but you are right, it might be trying and cutting off when the automated reply starts.

Message 4 of 19

Enlli
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Only a guess. But it's based on my experience in the past.

Is 4G Calling (VoLTE) switched on in your phone settings

USA - Roaming with O2 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

I'm struggling to see how that number is connected to voicemail.

I'd keep looking elsewhere

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 19

Enlli
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

That's the number trying to ring him. For which he is being charged as an incoming call

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

The charges indicate that the incoming call is responded to by an outgoing call from my phone also for 13 seconds.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

If the outgoing calls are all registered at 13 seconds it would seem they are connecting to an international operator stating it cannot connect to that number - same spiel, same timing

Message 9 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Does visual voicemail/iMessaging just register using a text or could it be that?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 19