cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my old number to my new SIM card

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I want to change my old number to a new SIM card on a new contract is this what a SIM swap is? I called 202 to request it be done but the lady said I should text 20220 with the word SWAP in the text (why couldn't she do it herself?). Anyway I did this, replied with the code and entered my SIM serial number but I think I left out the first six digits as its only a micro sim and has 13 digits. Anyway it came back saying

'Thank you. Unfortunately we cannot progress the sim swap. Please call us free on 202 for further assistance.'

So anyway I tried using the SIM swap service on the O2 website and followed the different stages until I got to stage 3 where it told me the SIM swap was already in progress??

I am a little confused now. I entered the wrong code in the text so how can it be in progress? Maybe it won't allow me to SIM swap because on my old SIM is still an active contract? I haven't been able to cancel it yet as the phone lines are always busy. Maybe that is the problem.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
No.

Ring O2 on 202 tomorrow to discuss this.

They are shut right now.

Opening times
Monday-Friday 08:00 - 21:00
Saturday 08:00 - 20:00
Sunday 08:00 - 18:00

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
A sim swap is if your moving your number and tariff from one sim to another ie micro sim to nano sim as you have changed phones.

What you need to do is ring 202 back as they have probably misunderstood you.

Are you wanting to upgrade ?
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I had/still have an old simplicity 30 day contract on a 3G micro SIM card. I have already upgraded to a new Xperia Z1 with a new 4G micro SIM card. All I want to do is to assign my old number to the new SIM card. Then I want to assign another number to the old micro SIM card. Is this what a SIM swap is meant to achieve?

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
No.

Ring O2 on 202 tomorrow to discuss this.

They are shut right now.

Opening times
Monday-Friday 08:00 - 21:00
Saturday 08:00 - 20:00
Sunday 08:00 - 18:00
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You won't be able to assign another number to the old sim card, you will have to get that replaced.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah right. Thanks for the info. slight_smile

So you can only SIM swap to a brand new SIM card and not to a previously used one? I didn't know that.

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions