Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot login or access my former Virgin Mobile account

br1anstorm
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a mobile phone originally set up and registered with Virgin Mobile over 20 years ago.  The phone handset (which is not a smart phone, has only voice and texts, no internet online facility or apps) is now used regularly by my wife.  It is on an open-ended Pay Monthly tariff.  Payments are made by Direct Debit.

The account was registered with Virgin Media.  I used to be able to log in via the Virgin Media website to check the details, but have not done so for some time.   Now an issue has arisen over the DD arrangement.  I need therefore to access, manage and possibly amend the account. 

I find I cannot do so at Virgin Media, for two reasons.  First, the original registration with Virgin 20 years ago had as login our "...[at] virgin.net" email address, which was closed down and ceased to exist many years ago as Virgin regarded it as a 'legacy' email address and would no longer support it.  So that email is no longer recognised.  Second, Virgin Media (whom I have contacted) say that all former Virgin Mobile accounts have been transferred or migrated over to O2, and the Pay Monthly accounts (such as this one) will have been "automatically registered" now to O2.  And it is true that the DD is now collected by O2.

But I cannot see how to login and access the details of that - former Virgin Mobile - Pay Monthly account via the O2 website.  And there seems no way of communicating effectively and directly with O2 to find out.  The telephone support line is impenetrable, the Help and Support FAQs irrelevant, and the 'virtual assistant' bot is useless.  There is an option to write and post a letter (yay!).  But no email or online facility.  The only option for online written help-requests is via this Community Forum.

I should note that I am able to access the O2 forum (as I am doing now), and can log in to "MyO2" because I have another phone which had an O2 number and PAYG account, on the basis of which I set up my own "MyO2" account.  But it appears I cannot add my old, original Virgin Mobile device/number/account to "MyO2"...... because when I click the option to do so, I get a message which says "... that number is already registered with O2".  Yes - but how do I access and manage that account?

Virgin Media have said they cannot assist as the account has been migrated to O2.

I therefore need to know (a) under what email address my old Virgin Mobile is now registered with O2.... because if it is still the 20-year-old redundant 'virgin.net' email, that will no longer be recognised and so cannot be used, for example, for a password re-set;  and (b) I will also need to know - and/or to change - the password required to access the account via O2.

Advice, guidance, and a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

br1anstorm
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @roy247  and  @GW139    - I only saw your messages after posting what I hope is the final explanation describing how my problem was solved.  Although I appreciate your helpful intentions, I need to point out that I did not, and do not, have a MyO2 app on the phone handset, which is an old Nokia non-smart phone providing only voice and texts and no internet, wifi or app capability. 

So your experiences don't really apply to my situation. which I am relieved to say has been resolved.  But you do illustrate that there are issues around the migration of Virgin Mobile accounts to O2, and the O2 support options are not exactly the most user-friendly.    Thanks all the same.

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

You're welcome @br1anstorm and glad you're sorted at last.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 16

GW139
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did try the method suggested and unfortunately have dug an even deeper hole! Having tried to register my number with an alternative email, there was a message that said my number was already registered to an email address with a number of stars and none of the characters in any nof my emails. Oh dear.......

A wait of up to an hour on the phone again..I don't think so, not today I have wasted enough time....

Thanks for the tips though.

Message 13 of 16

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

2 things you could do - call O2 on the phone, if you must, at around 8am in the morning, or shortly after - wait times are less, or: use the Social Media team (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram), 3 ways to get at them in the link below - and keep pinging them every so often until you get a response, @GW139 - good luck!

Message 14 of 16

munchie63
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

SNAP !!

Lovely being moved across without any say in the matter wasn't it. No paperwork, nothing to file away. And no help whatsoever

Message 15 of 16

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8936 Posts
  • 201 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@munchie63 

Unfortunately, this is a customer to customer community so we cannot access your account or offer other direct help to you. You need to contact O2 and I suggest that you message them on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

A complete schedule of how to contact O2 is in :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Message 16 of 16