cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect on PAYG Mobile Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using a DELL D620 notebook which has an integrated SIM slot. I'm running Windows 7. I've fitted DELL's 5540 mini PCI-e WWAN card, and inserted my o2 PAYG mobile broadband sim. I've put £2 on the SIM, giving me 200MB for up to 24 hours, just so I can test this thing out. I've got DELL's Mobile Broadband Manager software installed, the SIM is recognised, I can, and have, recieved SMS messages on my laptop through the sim, as this is how I received confirmation of my topup. However -- I cannot connect via mobile broadband! Every time I hit the "connect" button, it tries to connect for a while, before stopping without giving a reason why it failed to connect.

If I try and connect via Windows rather than through the DELL software, it says "Connection failed", and if I view the troubleshooter, it tells me that "The mobile broadband network connection operation (context activation) failed with error code 0". What does this mean?

Any ideas on how I can get this thing working?

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
My phone is a nano-sim phone. The o2 sim is a full-size one that can be split to become a nano-sim. Doing this to try it in my phone would mean I can't put it back in the laptop, as the laptop sim slot is for full-size only.
Message 11 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood.

Try payandgo.o2.co.uk without a user/pass

This seems to be the correct APN for PAYG, so we need to work with that.

Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually - jus came across this for mobile broadband, worth a try!

m-bb.o2.co.uk

user: o2bb

pass: password

Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried payandgo.o2.co.uk with no user/pass, connection attempt lasts longer but still fails, no errors reported in DELL software, same error reported in Windows.
Message 14 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

For future reference got these recent details from this O2 guide:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/Data/O2/KnowledgeBases/Companion/document/Pay%20&%20Go%20E160%20v3.4...

Message 15 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
No joy with m-bb.o2.co.uk settings either.
Message 16 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very Very strange.

If you check on https://mobilebroadbandaccess.o2.co.uk does it show your data as being active?

Message 17 of 35

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

not sure if this apn still works m-bb.o2.co.uk user web pass web but it did come up a long time ago

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

not sure if this apn still works m-bb.o2.co.uk user web pass web but it did come up a long time ago

Gotta be worth a try! slight_smile

Message 19 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Already tried the m-bb.o2.co.uk APN with different user/pass, just tried it again with "web" as both... nothing.
Message 20 of 35