cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a ship in an emergency...

Anonymous
Not applicable

...£47.56 for a 7 minute call now showing in my 'pending billing' O2 screen.

Had to call my parents on their ship (Costa Luminosa) after they were robbed in Marseille yesterday. Thieves took their phone and injured my mother so made a quick call to the ship to help cancel their phone and make sure they were OK.

O2 call charges screen shows costs to ships as 'Unavailable' so wasn't able to check in advance. I knew it was likely to be a costly call but - nearly £7 per minute - really?!

Message 1 of 31
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Strewth! Shocked

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Cost per minute of calling:  Ships/ferries/Airplane networks

Landline£8.10
Mobiles£8.10
Cost per text message20p

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ouch.

It's been discussed before that ship calling can be expensive but that's if the person is using roaming on their phone whilst on a cruise etc.

Could they not have used the ships communications systems to cancel their sims.

Appreciate you had the need to get assurance they were safe.

Hope they are Ok.

You could ask O2 Cs to clarify via ringing 202.
Message 2 of 31

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Toby can you look at this how can any uk based user get the information on this yet again the website is lacking vital information?

to the op ring 202  and ask the same and get confirmation of charges

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Double ouch if there's no way of telling how much it costs on the O2 website I would try ringing 202 and seeing if they can do anything you never know
Message 4 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies all - I'll give 202 a call now and let you know what they say.

Message 5 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome

Let us know what they say about their site lacking the info and charges.
Message 6 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, hugely poor service - the representative - after apologising for the call cost - made the suggestion that in the future I visit an O2 store in advance and buy an international calling card as it would be much cheaper than calling using my mobile.

When I said that the advice was unhelpful as the call was an emergency and I would have expected the O2 website to give me the information I required and not have to visit a store, he said there was nothing else he could do. Nice one O2!

Message 7 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 31

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Wow what poor advice and incorrect aswell https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/calling-card has no listing for cruise ships or satelite phones? @Toby this is not a good reflection on the website or the customerservice that @Anonymous has received

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 31

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous the new layout complain page is a nicer link http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain than the old format help page just for referance

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 31