cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call sim verses Data sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just purchased a Sim free Sony Xperia Z3 tablet model SGP621 which has 3G & 4G capabilities. I would like some advice on which sim to put in it. I know it needs a nano sim, but do I need a call sim or data sim? My mobile contract with O2 is PAYG using the same sim card as supplied with my original Nokia which was with BT Cellnet. I have never been one for making calls or sending texts (less than 100 in a Year), so PAYG suits me fine as I use Wi-Fi in the main for data access. I want to keep my existing mobile for making calls in the UK as it is more handy to carry. However I do envisage using the tablet to send text messages particularly when overseas on holiday where Wi-Fi can be hit and miss.

Ideally I would like to have the same mobile no, so I was thinking of getting a call nano sim and transfer the existing credit and number from my old BT Cellnet sim to the new one so that I can send & receive text's on the tablet  when overseas and then get a sim adapter so that I can put the new sim into my old mobile as this is more portable when in the UK. However it has been suggested that I need a data sim for the tablet as opposed to a call sim. If I choose this option is it possible send & receive texts from one and also make phone calls if required in an emergency? 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Cairdeas wrote:
Thanks all. You guys are the best! X

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 34

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you want a sim for a few calls and text tesco mobile (use 02 and can use in 02 phone) payg is 8p per min and 4per text, http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1082-pay-as-you-go/1182-call-charges/pay-as-you-go-lite-...

For data GT ( runs on 02 network) and can use in o2 phone) £15 per month for unlimited calls and txt and 6gb of 4g and 3g data http://www.gtmobile.co.uk/en/bundle

Message 32 of 34

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Giff gaff is slower for data than o2 tesco and lyca and gt mobile they are very low down on the network priority list

Message 33 of 34

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thank you @la7 slight_smile x

giphy-3
Message 34 of 34