cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from 'O2' offering extra discount - scam or not?

Sheeley
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a call today from 'O2' offering me an extra discount on my account. The-two text verification was sent to my phone but I was really uncomfortable giving the security code back to someone when I have no means of verifying who they are. Are these discounts really being offered? When I queried why I was getting it the person just said that because lots of customers have left there is some random selection of accounts who are being offered discounts to entice them to stay. 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147971 Posts
  • 638 Topics
  • 28374 Solutions

@Sheeley 

It's a well known scam.
Block the number and do not follow any links.
Forward the scam text to 7726 - It's free.
Other ways to report here including Action Fraud website
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
How to block a number:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

O2 will never ask you for the passcode, it's for you to input online only.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7400 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well the reason for ringing seems fishy to me. If in doubt contact O2 by one of the methods at the bottom of this forum.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147971 Posts
  • 638 Topics
  • 28374 Solutions

@Sheeley 

It's a well known scam.
Block the number and do not follow any links.
Forward the scam text to 7726 - It's free.
Other ways to report here including Action Fraud website
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
How to block a number:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

O2 will never ask you for the passcode, it's for you to input online only.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 14

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37634 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1709 Solutions

Not heard that one about the lots of customers leaving before - it is amazing how much brassneck these scammers have, @Sheeley!

Message 4 of 14

Barnsley-Bill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They are very clever, very convincing that they have all your details legitimately and send a "security' text number for you to use. Confirming this, your email (which thy already have} convinces you to give a security question.

The initial phone call was at 15:50 by 15:57 they had changed my password to O2 before I could check my incoming email or contact O2

It all comes at you so fat that while you are trying to fathom what is going on they have already ordered a new iPhone or iPad on your account at O2. I managed to log in to my O2 online but was soon blocked out, but not before I had a chance to cancel a mobile number which had appeared on my account. I contacted O2 on 202 to their fraud line and they put an immediate stop on the "new phone order"

I was able to change my security question with O2 fraud team and I will need to change my password as soon as my access is unlocked. The number calling me was 020 3089 0230 and they gave me a number to call back to the "O2 Upgrade team" 0345 3141 994 which is a Premium number ( I didn't call) I also got Genuine confirmation texts from O2 about my "purchase" because the O2 computer just believes the order when the fraudsters place it. I have several emails from "O2 upgrade.com"including a Credit Contract for £1059 with Telephonica agreeing a loan!

Another email address is from "O2 Refresh"

Hopefully O2 have prevented any more theft and that this information will be of help to prevent someone else from being scammed. The main message is that O2 will NEVER ask you for your security answers unless YOU call THEM

Message 5 of 14

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23702 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3753 Solutions

@Barnsley-Bill Please remove the email addresses in your post so no one accidentally clicks on it. Go to the down facing arrow above the date and time in your post, then the drop down Edit Reply.

Never answer or respond to cold call offers. Invariably they are scams. We see them all the time.

Flagged

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 14

Barnsley-Bill
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK 👍

Message 7 of 14

Barnsley-Bill
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is that ok now

Message 8 of 14

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23702 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3753 Solutions

@Barnsley-Bill Yes that's fine. Well done. It's always wise to never give anyone who visits these pages a chance to inadvertently click on a link that could land them in trouble. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 14

Barnsley-Bill
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been able to regain access to O2 website and have changed everything. I also see that my recent "order" has been cancelled. I am not sure about the "Loan"

Message 10 of 14