cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for emoticons (smiley faces) as MMS/picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a good look through the forum but can not see anything like this problem.

A friend of mine had a large bill come through this month and contacted 02 customer service.

Basically she was told her bill was so high because she had used above and beyond her MMS/picture message qouta which she refused to except but was told that a Emoticon (smiley face) counted as a MMS/picture message.

Has anybody encountered this or confirm or decline this??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 104
103 REPLIES 103

Anonymous
Not applicable

im being charged £3.80 for the same sort of thing   but i dont send smiley faces or such.   for 1 i dont know how to.....i sent just ordenary txts christmas day and new years day  but am being told they were mms. !!!!   very strange...  the message read.   HAPPY CHRISTMAS  HAVE A GREAT DAY....  how can that be construed as an mms ????

Message 81 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are using an Android handset, on your keyboard bottom left is a smily face. If you click on that it converts to mms.

Like wise if your text messages are more than 160 characters some phones convert to mms. Other handsets allow up to 480 characters and split them for you into individual texts but over 480 they convert to mms.

Hope that helps
Message 82 of 104

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

im being charged £3.80 for the same sort of thing   but i dont send smiley faces or such.   for 1 i dont know how to.....i sent just ordenary txts christmas day and new years day  but am being told they were mms. !!!!   very strange...  the message read.   HAPPY CHRISTMAS  HAVE A GREAT DAY....  how can that be construed as an mms ????

How many people did you send that message to at the same time? I believe that if it's more than four it counts as an MMS.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 83 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sent similar messages in batches of 10 on my S4. They went as texts. What handset do you have OP?
Message 84 of 104

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out the possible reasons here:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,T=guruCase,VARSET_COBJID=52283,Problem=Obj%2852283%29,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 85 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another here who has been charged 😞 not happy

Message 86 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just found out I was being charged for using these S4 smiley faces, haivng moved from the iphone where you are not charged (still with O2). I have asked O2 to record an official complaint but it needs lots of people to complain before any investigation is initiated so I won't hold my breath.

Samsung and O2 need to sort this out once and for all or Ofcom need to get involved and force their hand.

Message 87 of 104

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have an S3. Am I wrong in thinking I DON'T get charged for the smilies that are inbuilt into the phone?

I have always understood that it's only if you download an app for smileys/emoticons that you get charged?

So.... I would be interested to know for definite, the answer to this one Smiley Surprised

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 88 of 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144217 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
So many threads on the forum about this.
Turn off auto conversion and select the tick box to give a warning when sms is converted to mms.
Also the little green smilies are sent as a standard sms but the picture ones get converted (if not switched off).
There really isn't anything to investigate as it is how modern phones work.
The reason iPhones don't convert is because they are sent over iMessage (otherwise they would do the same) but you can use Whatsapp or BBM on your Samsung and send them for free too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 89 of 104

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Well thank goodness I wasn't wrong. wink

Not as good an explanation as MI5's... but its a start...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 90 of 104