cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating second sim problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have an iPhone with a PAYG sim

I just bought a Nexus 7 tablet with 3G capability and order an additional PAYG Sim for it.  It has now arrived but I have no idea how to activate it.

I can't call 4444 because it doesn't have any phone capability in the tablet.  I can't find anyplace onlyine to register the new sim and then top it up (ideally from my existing account).

Can someone give me advice as to where to start on this process

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I eventually solved this - but it required some help from the online chat people to rescue some money put onto a sim that became useless.  Fortunately when O2 sent me a new sim they actually sent two, so I was able to use the second one.

The steps necessary were as follows

1) remove the sim from the packaging BUT LEAVE IT AS FULL sim size.  I took the existing sim out from my iPhone and put the new one in.

2) Activate the sim by topping it up (in my case the online guys did this, by moving the money from the first sim I had (which I had already made into a micro sim so would no longer fit in my iphone)

3) Create an on-line account for the number of this new sim.  The reason you need to leave it in the iPhone is that to sign up for the online account you need the text message sent to you to verify it.  My Nexus 7 can't receive text messages.

4) Now link the two accounts

5) Remove the sim from the iPhone, and replace the old one in it.  Cut the new sim down to micro sim size and put in in the Nexus 7

I now have two working accounts, linked together, and auto topping up from the same card.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Removed by me.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

did you get a mobile data sim or standard voice sim?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

did you get a mobile data sim or standard voice sim?

got a standard PAYG sim - just like for my iPhone (which does the minimal amount of data transfer I need each month just nicely)

Message 4 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would talk to o2 but you may need a data only sim the type that is in dongles (like the dedicated ipad one)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I eventually solved this - but it required some help from the online chat people to rescue some money put onto a sim that became useless.  Fortunately when O2 sent me a new sim they actually sent two, so I was able to use the second one.

The steps necessary were as follows

1) remove the sim from the packaging BUT LEAVE IT AS FULL sim size.  I took the existing sim out from my iPhone and put the new one in.

2) Activate the sim by topping it up (in my case the online guys did this, by moving the money from the first sim I had (which I had already made into a micro sim so would no longer fit in my iphone)

3) Create an on-line account for the number of this new sim.  The reason you need to leave it in the iPhone is that to sign up for the online account you need the text message sent to you to verify it.  My Nexus 7 can't receive text messages.

4) Now link the two accounts

5) Remove the sim from the iPhone, and replace the old one in it.  Cut the new sim down to micro sim size and put in in the Nexus 7

I now have two working accounts, linked together, and auto topping up from the same card.

Message 6 of 6