Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g in nottingham

Scottydee19
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
When will 5g actually reach Nottingham. Cause as advertisement on 02 website. 5g is not available in nottingham. And all network team say is there having issues. And could be by summer 2020.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123150 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Scottydee19 

As you know, it says here that it should already be in Nottingham https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/20-by-2020-more-5G-locations/m-p/1283443#M32823 ?

However, you have posted on that thread and say you can't get it. I will mention @Chris_K here and see what he says.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions
@scottydee 5G is only available in Nottingham at the racecourse so Sneinton and around the university/arboretum area.

There is no ubiquitous coverage on any 5G network
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 9

Scottydee19
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was in the area by the university the other day. And tried to connect to 5g with no joy. This is when I contacted network support. To be tole they where having issues. And if could be summer 2020. Before they are fixed
Message 4 of 9

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi Scotty,

I'm not aware of any issues with 5G in Nottingham, but can confirm we do have 5G here. Please do understand however that as mentioned above by others, initial coverage is limited in these areas and will expand its reach in time.

If you try our coverage checker here you will see that the University area only has a partial outdoor coverage so depending on where you were, and if you were indoors, you may not have been within the 5G coverage area.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 5 of 9

Scottydee19
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was outside walking down derby road. Which is well within the network coverage area shown on the 02 network coverage app.
Message 6 of 9

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Scottydee19 wrote:
I was outside walking down derby road. Which is well within the network coverage area shown on the 02 network coverage app.

It looks like Derby Rd is pretty long, with some of it passing through an area where we do predict there to be 5G coverage. We've also double checked and see no current issues with the cell providing 5G coverage here - so you don't need to worry about that.

Potential issues:

1) Are you fully set up for 5G? To receive 5G signal you need a device that is 5G enabled, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 5G or Samsung Galaxy S10 5G for example. You will also need a 5G SIM card and for your account to be set up for 5G on a compatible tariff.
2) Is your device configured correctly? If you have a 5G device that was purchased directly from O2, make sure you are on the latest software update. If you have an update available but have not updated yet, this could be what is preventing you from using 5G - so please update if you have one available. Please also check your settings. On a Samsung 5G device, go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network mode > 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect).

3) Our coverage checker is an expectation and not a guarantee of what we expect coverage to be in a given area. It could be possible that though we expect there to be coverage along that road, the reality could provide a different story. Our coverage checkers are regularly updated and maintained as and when our engineers receive new data, and are constantly improving.

If your account and device are fully set up to receive 5G but you're still unable to latch onto it in that area, I'd recommend you contact our CS team who should be able to do some further checks.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 9

Scottydee19
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
All the above was done. And I'm currently using a note 10 + 5g on a 5g unlimited tariff with a 5g sim card. And still had no Joy's.
Message 8 of 9

Scottydee19
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And I have contacted cs team. And get no joy from them. So got put though to network team technical support team to be told there are issues in area and could be summer 2020 before its available. Which is not the information that's advertised on the 02 website.
Message 9 of 9