Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g eSIM

Chateau57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just purchased a new (unlocked) iPhone 12 from Apple. Contacted customer services via the My O2 App who told me that:-

“Just to inform you there is no 5G available at your area. However, we are exploring our 5G all over UK soon and once its available we will certainly send you replacement 5G e-SIM. Meanwhile I can send you 4G e-SIM on your billing address with O2.”

So in other words they couldn’t (wouldn’t!) send me a 5g sim because I don’t live in an area with 5g coverage?! I pointed out that even if I was in a non 5g area the 5g SIM card should still work and would drop back down to 4g / 3G.

This is what they then said:-

“In order to use 5G services you would need to 5G handset with 5G network and 5G tariff. So, if I send you 5G SIM even your tariff needs to be 5G. However, 5G tariff would not work on 4G nework. I would appreciate if you could just contact us once the 5G network is available at your area and we would get every thing up to date at that time for you”

They’re now saying I’m not on a 5g tariff and that even if I were, it would not work on a 5g network?!

I insisted that I should be able to put a 5g esim in my iPhone 12 and it would still work in a 4g area, and here’s what they said:-

“if we upgrade your tariff to 5G you would not be able to use the 4G services at the area where there is no 5G. So, I would request you to please ait for sometime as we are expanding our network and soon 5G would be listed at your area.”

?!!!

Meanwhile from O2’s website :-

“All our sim only plans are set up for O2 5G – just let us know if your device is 5G ready, and we’ll make sure you get a 5G sim.”

No mention of any “5g” tariffs?!

I suspect Customer Services in this case have no idea what they’re talking about... can someone please confirm that if I just order a 5g e Sim and place it in my new iPhone 12 it will work normally - albeit in a 4G area?!

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chateau57 

Half the time live chat do NOT know what they are talking about. Anyone who requires a new sim, which WILL be 5G, can have one.

The only issue for some, is if you only have a 5G capable phone, then  you won't get 5G, just 4G.

Call customer services on any number in this guide (they are open from 10-2 today) Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Or wait until the stores re-open. You will be able to pick on up there, if you remember to take in ID.

Best of luck. Merry Christmas to you smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35235 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hi @Chateau57 - not sure why they would not give you a 5g tariff and let you switch to 5g eSIM, unless the switchover process requires you to have 5g service to activate the eSIM (info below from here:

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks ) 

5g Service requires the 5g SIM (or eSIM) and appropriate tariff. 

Sorry I can't help further, not being in a 5g area myself. 

Screenshot_20201225-075239.jpg

Message 2 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Chateau57

This used to be old rules, where you had to be in a 5G area and then be moved to a 5G Tariff.

If you move to a 5G tariff you will Not lose access to a 4G, 3G and 2G service.

The best option is not to use live chat but to call up and request a 5G esim.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chateau57 

Half the time live chat do NOT know what they are talking about. Anyone who requires a new sim, which WILL be 5G, can have one.

The only issue for some, is if you only have a 5G capable phone, then  you won't get 5G, just 4G.

Call customer services on any number in this guide (they are open from 10-2 today) Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Or wait until the stores re-open. You will be able to pick on up there, if you remember to take in ID.

Best of luck. Merry Christmas to you smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, in the end I went via Twitter and made the same request.... took about 2 minutes (all I needed to do was confirm I was the account holder and my name and address), 5G sim now on its way. The advice I got from the first customer services rep was appallingly bad!
Message 5 of 11

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, that’s very helpful and reassuring. Contacted someone else in Customer Services later in the day and go a much clearer response. Have a feeling if I’ve made three different calls, I would’ve had three different answers !!! Merry Christmas!
Message 6 of 11

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35235 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Good luck, @Chateau57, and Merry Christmas! 🎄

Message 7 of 11

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics