cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G - IT IS A MYTH!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, it is going to be short... I am over a year with o2. In my contract is that I should have 4G internet. But I have never seen it  during 13 months. I know and totally understand it may be limited on country side, but in Londyn (it is just my thinking) it should work normally...

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

At one point I would have agreed with you .... I got no 3G signal at my home address as it seemed o2 forgot all about us haha. However, we've been included in the latest 4G rollout so I'm now getting 26mbps download on 4G coming froma 0.01mbps download on 3G previously.

It's definitely real I can assure you slight_smile

Message 11 of 43

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
So I've travelled down to Doncaster yesterday. And most of the time my phone had 4g. Fairly constant
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 12 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

*trawling through old posts*

I don't know if this has been sorted.. but I have noticed (dealing with customer accounts) that sometimes the Blackberry bolt on gets added either by mistake or otherwise, and it means you get 3G but not 4G as it's not compatible with the iPhone (had it on my Edge as well recently) ... if you've not already.. call Customer services and get them to change the bolt on, then you reinstall settings  and restart your phone, that will fix it for you..

As for London, other than some really remote areas and blackspots in London, there is 4G everywhere.

Message 13 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh 4G is no myth, it's real alright and in my opinion O2’s reliability and coverage is consistent and reliable throughout the UK.

For balance and worth a mention, there are no EE (ex.Orange/T.Mobile) masts within a four mile radius of my locality! O2 & Vodafone have four each and Three have two, just one example for you!

Anyway, having ported my number across from an O2 business account to consumer one I found that I couldn't pick up 4G.

After checking my Android phone model, compatibility, APN settings and signal, I called customer service. They identified that my data tariff mistakenly had a Blackberry bolt on applied to it upon account set up, so customer service arranged for this to be removed from account and replaced with a standard UK data bolt on.

As promised, soon after midnight the following day a device restart was required and 4G (together with karma) restored accordingly.

By the way, the speedy efficient way O2's UK customer service handled my number port and 4g issue is to be highly commended, keep up the good work! slight_smile

Message 14 of 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It seems to be an issue that all accounts are put on a blackberry bolt on when upgrading or migrating platforms. Strange when o2 don't stock them any more and the latest models don't need the blackberry bolt on at all.

Glad you are enjoying 4G though Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 43

MI5
  • 144772 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
That's quite a few customers that have reported the BB issue isn't it jonsie?
I can only assume that if the data type isn't selected when setting up the account, it automatically defaults to a BB tariff. Maybe a system update is required now wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 43

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I can only assume that if the data type isn't selected when setting up the account, it automatically defaults to a BB tariff. Maybe a system update is required now wink

I agree but O2 updating their system inevitably breaks it....:smileysad:

Message 17 of 43

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

As we keep saying if it ain't broke do not fix it lol

but seriously too many system errors creeping in

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 123189 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

As we keep saying if it ain't broke do not fix it lol

but seriously too many system errors creeping in

Amen to that lot ^^^^^^^^

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 43

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Rather than start a new thread this speed test earlier shows it is not a myth lol http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1606083010

image.png

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 20 of 43