Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal

ikb1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ln4 2bt area - despite info given on O2 coverage checker the 2G signal in this immediate area is usually abysmal. Have had this Tesco account for many years & signal has never improved. response from O2 is that signal for voice / texts should be OK, but it really is not! I keep the account as the triple credit option from Tesco is very good.Is it likely that a newer phone would be any better with poor signal as my phone is over 7 years old?Do not use a mobile often enough to buy an expensive phone ( which might not perform any better in any case) & use a dongle for internet via my laptop using the 3 network. Anyone else find their Tesco mobile / O2 signal is bad despite coverage checker saying it should be OK or good?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Coverage maps are computer generated guides and no where near 100% accurate.
Your 7 year old phone will most likely perform better than a new one but do make sure it's on 2g only in the network settings.
See some hep here too https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Do-you-have-poor-coverage-signal-Indoors-T...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ikb1 As Tesco is an mvno then O2 customers will see a better signal difference due to being the main network where as they allow Tesco to use it but O2 will have priority on bandwidth 

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There is also a mast down at the moment so worse now
http://status.o2.co.uk
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

ikb1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reponse - had not expected such a quick reply!  I have checked network settings, but good of you to point it out as not an obvious option & I had noticed a mast problem on the check site. No point in spending money on new phone if signal unlikely to be better, but getting O2 to understand that the signal is terrible is a waste of time as they just repeatedly say it should be OK. They should send someone to the specified post code area area to do a test! I do not think they have their own mast very close - the nearest mast is about 700 yards away but it s EE I believe.Thanks also for the link - I'll have a look.

Message 5 of 9

ikb1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your comments.Pity nobody points these facts out when you sign up!

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can find info on nearest masts etc here https://www.mastdata.com
You can also download the MyNetwork app to report the issues in your area.
https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ikb1wrote:

Thanks for your reponse - had not expected such a quick reply!  I have checked network settings, but good of you to point it out as not an obvious option & I had noticed a mast problem on the check site. No point in spending money on new phone if signal unlikely to be better, but getting O2 to understand that the signal is terrible is a waste of time as they just repeatedly say it should be OK. They should send someone to the specified post code area area to do a test! I do not think they have their own mast very close - the nearest mast is about 700 yards away but it s EE I believe.Thanks also for the link - I'll have a look.

They may need to get access permission before they can perform a test 

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If its been a problem for many years and has never improved l it may be that there are other issues such as landscape, buildings or housing construction. Given the length of time of the signal problem and given the close proximity of the EE mast, maybe you should be thinking about changing provider? After all, Tesco triple credit isn't much good to you if you can't use it. 

Message 9 of 9