Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking from O2

Piran
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

A little over a month ago I purchased a Sony Experia from somebody who had owned it since new some 12 months or so ago, and I want to use a different network sim in it. I have followed instructions to set up a My O2 account using a PAYG card and follow the unlock link. So far I have tried this 5 times and each time received an automayed email as follows.....

Hi,

Your unlatching request has been completed. Unlatching instructions :

The code you require for IMEI No - xxxxxxxxxxxx is as follows:-

xxxxxxxx

For Unlatching Sony Ericsson Devices;

- Power on device with a non O2 UK SIM card
- The device shows: "SIM network unlock PIN"
- Enter the unlock code NCK for the network lock and press "Unlock"
- Device will pop up a message "Network unlock successful"

Thank you,

O2 Customer Service

I have also spoken with Customer Services 3 times and each time they have told me 'we will escalate your query to our back office' but again I receive automated emails with a whole line of X's.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so how did they overcome it? I have to say I'm glad I want to use a different network because so far Customer Service and experience have been sadly disappointing from O2!!

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Further update again! Just discovered the phone has been unlocked by Sony so happy days!!!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Piran 

You haven't said what the problem is?

Does the code not work?

Do you get different codes 5 times?

Have you tried a non O2 SIM in the phone?

If you have tried 5 times with the wrong code, the phone will now be hard locked to O2 forever.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi and thanks for picking up on this. The problem is that none of the 5 emails contained a code! I didn't substitute any numbers or letters for the x's in the text I copied in to my post, that was exactly as I received them so I haven't entered anything in the the phone yet.

I have tried another network sim (Sky) but the message Sim not supported popped up.

Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
When it said “sim not supported” did it ask for a code?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes it did MI5

Message 5 of 18

jonsie
  • 92924 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @jonsie !

Any luck yet with the unlocking since you last posted @Piran ? Happy to take a look if you're still stuck! slight_smile

Message 7 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Marjo and thanks for getting in touch.

No I'm no further forward. I have spoken with the the previous owner and he tells me O2 have confirmed to him that the handet is no longer registered in hs name and no longer connected with his My O2 account. He is also badgering O2 CS to help me.

Sorry I meant to mention, I only have one more attempt left before the handset itself becomes locked - that is my fault because I misunderstood the first two emails I received from O2 which were exactly the same as the one I copied on to my initial post.

Hope you can help......please!!!!

Message 8 of 18

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ok @Piran , let's have a closer look. slight_smile I'll drop you a private message here on the forum to get a few additional details shortly. Hang in there!

Message 9 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So by way of an update, Marjo was able to get an O2 customer service advisor to give me a call yesterday (thank you Marjo), a lovely lady called Nicola. Nicola had a 15 digit code for me to use which I did but when trying my Sky card in the phone afterwards, the message comes up 'SIM is locked by operator' and I'm unable to make calls using the Sky SIM. Because 3 attempts have now been made (first unsuccessful attempt by previous owner in an effort to sell phone as unlocked, the second by me upon receiving my first email from O2 with a line of x's and now the third using the O2 code) I'm concerned the handset itself is locked. Nicola did warn me that for O2 to get the handset unlocked they need the manufacturer to provide a code which could take up to 6 weeks! It does still work with the O2 PAYG SIM put back in.

Thanks to everyone for at least moving this forward to where I am now with it but any other thoughs or suggestions please let me know!

Message 10 of 18