Scam???

Olu1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got the following from this number saying it was O2: +44 7415 320817

[O2]
A block was initiated on your account & services due to unusual activity. Visit [mod edit: removed to ensure safety] to lift the restrictions.

I don’t know why I panicked and clicked the link and inputted my name and address. But when I got to the next page on the link it asked about my account and card details and quickly exited. I feel so silly. Hoping this won’t affect any of my account like banking Apps etc?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's a well known scam.
Block the number and report it free to 7726.
Don’t open any links or enter any information.
O2 advice here
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Change passwords for your o2 and bank accounts

Message 2 of 7

Olu1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Evening
Thanks for your response.
As I mentioned I have clicked the link and I also input my address and name. Only realised it was a scam when I clicked ‘next’ to the following page where it asked for my account details as well as bank card info. Of which I quickly exited and cleared history. I’ve changed passwords on my phone etc.
But they seem to have hacked into my O2 account. Because even though I’m in putting the right security answer to change my password it keeps telling me the answer I put is wrong.
Message 3 of 7

Olu1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I also can’t seem to speak to anyone on O2 on the phone. I sent an email when this happened and I’ve not received a response from anyone other than your above response.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Olu1 

There is no email to write to.

Contact numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Olu1 

Assuming you can still login to your MyO2, you can go to manage my details and change your security word. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

Olu1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for confirming how to contact O2

Also I actually changed the secret question and answer and tried to change password immediately. But it kept telling me the answer was wrong. Which is odd as I’m
Adamant of the answer I chose and what I put in. I’ll try it again.
Message 7 of 7