cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the £5 bundle the same as a tradional PAYG?

hutchipoos
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all

My mum has lost her mobile phone which was on an old style/traditional PAYG SIM, which was topped up by a card in the supermarket or by buying a voucher.  

Is the £5 bundle the same sort of thing, can she just get this and top up when she needs to, without needing to use the internet or an app, and no contract? Will it work in a 2G phone like a basic Nokia?  No data required, she just needs to have a basic call and text mobile. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@hutchipoos 

The bundles are different ...all explained here and need topping up monthly.

The £5 big bundle may suit your mum.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles 

If you want a classic payg sim such as she had before then, you would need to get a sim from Tesco or Giffgaff, who both run on the O2 network.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
No the £5 bundle is not the same @hutchipoos.
She will get unlimited texts and minutes, but will HAVE to top up each month.
On the old style she would only have to top up when required.
As for the sim working in a 2G phone, I am not sure. We have had people saying they are being sent new sim cards as o2 are switching off 2G so she may need a new phone as well (or at least one able to use 3G).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@hutchipoos 

You just need to report the sim as lost and O2 will send out a new sim, with the same number and on the same tariff, so it will be just the same as it was before she lost it.

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
^^ that too!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 5