Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can O2 refuse a refund?? Please help!

LottieJosh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is a long post but please, bare with me...

I wish I wasn't having to write this as its regarding my late Grandpa's pay as you go account with O2. He sadly passed away earlier this year.

When trying to close my Grandpa's O2 account, they have offered a refund of his PAYG credit, however not a full refund! My Grandpa had a international bolt on, on his phone and was of the understanding he needed to top it up on a regular basis to keep this benefit. He rarely used his mobile and therefore built up a credit balance of over £450.

O2 have informed me they can only refund £350 of his credit due to anti money laundering rules and advised I looked to the FCA. I've contacted the FCA who are not aware of this rule and advised I asked O2 which specific section of the FCA handbook they are referring to. I've also asked O2 if they can show me their policy on this matter. To this day, they are unable to find this information for me and say 'it's just a known rule'.

The money isn't a major issue, what my major gripe is, why should the big conglomerate of O2 telephonica pocket this money, my Grandpa's hard earned cash... its not like they will give this money to charity!

O2 have advised they can not provide me with balance information despite me being an executor to my Grandpa's Will. They have however advised I can use the credit!!! I just don't understand this. I've informed them I am no longer in possession of his sim card as I had requested they closed his account so assumed this was done and therefore discarded his sim.

Can anyone shed any light on this rule of only offering a partial refund. It just completely baffles me. As I said, it's not actually the money I'm after, it's just the principle of them benefitting from my Grandpa's death 😓.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@LottieJosh 

Sorry for your loss....

Have you spoken to the O2 Bereavement Team?

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/bereavement

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@LottieJosh Sorry to hear of your loss.

O2 are really good at kicking someone when they're down. You'd have thought that they would offer you a goodwill gesture in the circumstance. Their attitude is despicable.

I will tag one of the online advisors to look into this for you. @O2Waqas can you possibly assist?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

O2Waqas
Former Staff
  • 139 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Thank you for the tag @Bambino, we will certainly have a look to see what we can do 

@LottieJosh Sorry to hear of your loss, I will send you a private message so we can look in to this further for you 

Thanks 

signature
Message 4 of 11

LottieJosh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you all so much. @MI5, I had spoken to the bereavement team who are the ones telling me about this rule! Madness.
Thank you @Bambino for tagging an online advisor for me. Thank you both for your help and condolences.

O2Waqas, thank you. I look forward to your contact
Message 5 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Good luck @LottieJosh Sorry again for your loss. You shouldn't have to be jumping through hoops for O2 when you've lost someone close to you. I hope you can get this resolved soon.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 11

LottieJosh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much @Bambino. Its so tough, just didn't think this would be so hard to sort out. I've spoken with O2Waqas who is unable to help me unfortunately as its being dealt with by the bereavement team. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. I just hate how the whole process is being dragged out!it's making a painful, heartbreaking situation so much harder
Message 7 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Wish you luck @LottieJosh 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Glad you posted here in the community I knew here would be better than the mse forum as here they know the ins and outs and also got the community managers that are in direct with O2 hopefully gets sorted for yoy
Message 9 of 11

LottieJosh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@liggerz87 thank you so much for your help and advice 🙂
Message 10 of 11