Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi on the London underground

AshCrunch
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Seeing trying to travel on the London underground post lockdown trying to connect to the underground WiFi has been an absolute nightmare. Never had this problem before. In the past you would just connect to the WiFi and that was it. It would automatically connect to the WiFi at each station. Now that doesn't work. Literally every station when I try to connect I'm directed to the WiFi login screen and have to click the O2 icon and type in my phone number. By the time I've done all that the tube has left the station again anyway. And a large majority of the time it just comes back with an error message and doesn't connect anyway. It's infuriating! Has anyone else come across this and knows how to fix it?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@AshCrunch

This sounds like your phone not remembering the network its connecting to,hence its forcing your to reauthenticate.

I would go into your WiFi Settings and find the o2 WiFi network and choose the forget Network option.

When you next go on the Tube try and connect again.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 12

AshCrunch
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried this but it's still doing the same thing. Almost every time I get the 'Sorry, we've encountered an error and you have not been signed in' error.
Message 3 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@AshCrunch

Im starting to wonder if theirs an issue with the SSID (Network Name) that o2 use which sits on VirginMedia's infrastructure. (they provide WiFi across the Underground).

Let me tag one of the o2 gurus and see if they can offer any more advice @O2Waqas and @O2Emma
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 12

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Afternoon @madasaf1sh I will look into this thanks.

@AshCrunch please can you let me know if you can use o2Wifi in a above ground location i.e costa coffee thanks.

signature
Message 5 of 12

AshCrunch
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Apologies for the late reply.

That's correct Emma. I can connect to an O2 WiFi spot above ground. It's when I'm on the underground and I try to connect to the Virgin media WiFi
Message 6 of 12

AshCrunch
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi is there any update on this from anyone at O2? This problem is persistent now and it's very frustrating. Thank you
Message 7 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@AshCrunch wrote:
Hi is there any update on this from anyone at O2? This problem is persistent now and it's very frustrating. Thank you

@O2Emma ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @AshCrunch please can you confirm the error message you are getting when trying to connect to the underground Wifi and have you changed your phone at all.

Thanks

signature
Message 9 of 12

AshCrunch
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The error message is 'Sorry, we've encountered an error and you have not been signed in'. And if I try too many times I then get 'The associated account is currently locked out due to 5 or more failed login attempts. Please login again after 15 minutes'. This happens every time I click on the Virgin Media WiFi when on the underground.

I have a OnePlus 5t and I've had it for at least 2 years. This began happening around October but before then this never happened.
Message 10 of 12