Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Connect to Virgin Media Wifi on TFL / Underground

dollydagger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m having an issue in joining the Virgin Media wifi network on TFL trains and stations, which I can tell you IS an O2 fault (for everyone on here saying that it’s down to Virgin Media).

I have literally been going around in circles for several months with Customer Services - by chat and over the phone.  I have dutifully followed every instruction I have been given. I even waited a week (!) for a scheduled call from an O2 technician (supposedly ‘booked in’ by Customer Services) which never materialised.

As a new O2 customer (I was previously with Three) I am horrified by the lack of support and service I am being given. With Three, you can call up and ASK for technical support from a technician. With O2, the mysterious technicians have a ‘one way phone line that only allows them to dial out’, apparently.

I can’t believe the hoops customers are supposed to jump through, just to ‘join O2 wifi’ in order to be able to get Virgin Wifi on TFL. Standing around on street corners waving my phone around to find an O2 network is quite frankly a ridiculous registration method.

Having trawled through these message boards for some clue as to how to resolve the issue myself, I can see this is NOT A NEW PROBLEM. There are posts on here reporting the same issue, going back at least as far as 2015.

When I try to connect, I get the following message : ‘Sorry, but wifi on the Underground is only for people on O2. If you've just joined us, it might take us a few hours to sort out.’

Yes, I am an O2 contract customer, and yes have signed up for O2 wifi (months ago).

Yes, I have tried the method of ‘deleting my O2 wifi account’ (which you can’t btw, as the link on your website is broken and there is no O2 wifi app for iPhone)

Yes, I have stood around on the street to connect to O2 wifi, delete my account, and then repeated this inane process 48 hours later in order to be ‘forgotten’ by the network so I can rejoin again afresh.

Yes, I did wait another 48 hours before trying to connect to Virgin TFL again.

NONE OF THIS WORKS.

With Three, I never had a single issue signing up and connecting to Virgin’s service.

I seriously can’t believe how much of my time and effort this process has wasted.  I’m getting very close to cancelling my O2 contract and moving to a new network.

Please can someone qualified contact me to resolve this issue - and solve every other customer’s misery by creating a user friendly registration process.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Jess-Z
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Sarah-,

Please can you help me with this issue as well?

I have the exact same problem with London underground WiFi, it suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. I've reset my O2 Wifi account several times and can use O2 Wifi without issue, but London Underground WiFi still doesn't recognise my number as an O2 customer when I try to login to the Virgin Media WiFi and I'm also no longer able to connect to WiFi Extra. I also ported my number from Three.

Have tried customer service on the phone and chat but they weren't able to resolve the issue. 

Thank you!

Jessica 

Message 11 of 13

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Of course @Jess-Z I will send you a private message so we can look into this. 

Message 12 of 13

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36360 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

Just to let you know:  In the letter I received yesterday about the VM Price increase from Apr-2023, they also said they are phasing out the Public WiFi hotspot service, due to the increasing availability and improved performance generally of 4G and 5G cellular Internet access.

Can't find a reference to this removal of Public WiFi Service in the on-line version of the letter, but will take a copy of my letter (mostly on the rear of the letter) and upload here if it helps inform about the Virgin Media TfL service (or lack of it!).

Perhaps @Martin-O2 can find out a bit more?

Message 13 of 13