cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring an O2 SIM-only SIM card to a new SIM-free phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Sony Xperia M (Android 4.1.2) phone bought as a SIM-free phone. I have a SIM-only, pay-monthly, SIM inserted in that Sony Xperia M. 

If I buy a new SIM-free phone, can I just transfer the existing SIM-only, pay-monthly, O2 SIM card to the new phone, or would I have to contact O2 first?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome Bill-T

We all learn something new every day.
Message 11 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Basically you can buy any phone you want and then O2 will give you the appropriate SIM and data package to match - All for free slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again, Bambino. It's unlikely I'd buy an iPhone anyway. Might do, if I win the lottery.

I hope I haven't got my replies mixed up to all who've advised me today.
Message 13 of 43

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24000 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

I think you've covered all the bases, Bill. wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The thanks are good but not that important, as long as you're clear with the answers! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I pick your brain please? I am due to get delivery of an Xperia SP and don't have a micro sim at the moment.  Will O2 supply it with the phone and will I be able to transfer my number and all my data if they do?

Message 16 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I pick your brain please? I am due to get delivery of an Xperia SP and don't have a micro sim at the moment.  Will O2 supply it with the phone and will I be able to transfer my number and all my data if they do?

The sim card should be with the phone.

If its not then you can pick then up at any o2 shop where they will perform the swap there or have one sent out to you.

Then perform the swapmysim procedure.  http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Message 17 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
You cannot switch any data to your new sim. If you want to transfer contacts you will have to do it some other way. The simswap process just transfers your phone number......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 18 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that. Now gotta wait for UK Mail to deliver, was supposed to be today but at 8.30pm I've kinda given up.
Message 19 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable