cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello! Hope you're all well. I'm going to Sri Lanka for work and planning to use O2 Travel. I'm not really clear on whether this will cover me for calls I make locally while I'm there. I'll be claiming any charges back from my company but I'd rather not be putting through a claim for an extortionate amount just because I didn't understand how it works! Oh and if anybody else has used this service in Sri Lanka let me know how terrible it is! 😄 Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Hi and welcome to the forum.  So for £4.99 per day you will get 120mins and 120sms which in the terms state to 

"plus 120 minutes to make and/or receive calls and 120 texts to use within your travel destination and back to the UK. "

Regarding the data.  When I've used o2 travel in the past I can advise that it's throttled and people that have been in the USA confirmed the same at round 0.10 or a little higher.  I've never been to Sri Lanka, but I'd say from past experienc it will be throttled as they can do what they want out side the EU.

the charge of £4.99 per day will only apply if you use any data, make calls or send a SMS,  receiving calls and SMS will not trigger the charge

more info here. https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad#which-countries-are-included

The daily charge also also applies midnight to midnight local time based on the capital city of the country your in.  

Also make sure sure you have roaming enabled and also o2 travel,activated on your account,  I would try to keep a check as well on your account using the my o2 when ever you can to make sure the charges are correct etc

Hope me this helps and enjoy

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Hi and welcome to the forum.  So for £4.99 per day you will get 120mins and 120sms which in the terms state to 

"plus 120 minutes to make and/or receive calls and 120 texts to use within your travel destination and back to the UK. "

Regarding the data.  When I've used o2 travel in the past I can advise that it's throttled and people that have been in the USA confirmed the same at round 0.10 or a little higher.  I've never been to Sri Lanka, but I'd say from past experienc it will be throttled as they can do what they want out side the EU.

the charge of £4.99 per day will only apply if you use any data, make calls or send a SMS,  receiving calls and SMS will not trigger the charge

more info here. https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad#which-countries-are-included

The daily charge also also applies midnight to midnight local time based on the capital city of the country your in.  

Also make sure sure you have roaming enabled and also o2 travel,activated on your account,  I would try to keep a check as well on your account using the my o2 when ever you can to make sure the charges are correct etc

Hope me this helps and enjoy

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah thank you very much for such a detailed and fast reply, that's great. I did read that line about "within your travel destination" but I wasn't sure if it was only referring to the texts... I'm one of life's worriers and have to check and double check everything. I'll probably spend the entire plane journey worrying that I've left my door unlocked or something even though I'll have checked that about 8 times.
Anyway... so sorry but what do you mean about making sure I have roaming enabled? Is it a setting in my phone? I definitely have the Travel bolt on though, I checked that.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh and what does this little Kudo button mean under comments? I thought if I pressed it you'd get kudos for your comment but nothing happened. I feel like such a newbie 😂
Message 4 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149608 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Yes you are correct about the kudos button and it looks like it did work above.
Also yes, you need the data roaming options enabled in your phones settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 9

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

IMG_0630.PNGThe Kudos when you press has showed up. It gives me a point to say you liked my answer 👍

Your ur more than welcome to ask away. It's always great to see new people on here, we are all consumers on the forum. We do have the odd o2 person on here but 99% its consumers. 

Roaming is to ensure you you can use your phone overseas. Away from the o2 network in the uk. 

Im not sure if you have used you o2 phone overseas before. So as a precaution it's always better to check with o2 to ensure that roaming on your account and active. I wouldn't want you to get to Sri Lanka and then you can use your phone as the sim isn't activated for roaming. 

The picture above is the roaming partners o2 currently have in Sri Lanka. Ignore the LTE networks as you will not be able to connect to it. They just show as they are an extension of the normal 2G and 3G networks. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 6 of 9

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous welcome to our forum! Wave

Awesome to hear you're going to travel to Sri Lanka! One of the places on my "to visit one day" list. grin How long are you going to stay?

Thanks @darrengf & @MI5 for your help! 

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @darrengf and @MI5
Really appreciate the help.
Hi @Marjo I'm going for a week! I'm super nervous about going on my own but you lovely lot have helped me tick off one thing on my to do list!
Message 8 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks @darrengf and @MI5
Really appreciate the help.
Hi @Marjo I'm going for a week! I'm super nervous about going on my own but you lovely lot have helped me tick off one thing on my to do list!

Let us know how the trip went when you're back. slight_smile

Message 9 of 9