Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle Rip Off and Damaged my Phone

MickyWeirUK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all!
I have recently fallen victim to O2s shocking recycling scheme where you are quoted a decent £250 to recycle your phone and then this changes to a pathetic £47 after sending it to them, for a definitely fabricated fault. (Screen Burn)... It's a Galaxy S8 by the way...

Of course, I refused the offer and had them send my phone back, which is only going to cost me a few days of my busy week... Unfortunately on my phone has been received with a damaged/stuck power button!!!

Does anybody know a way I can complain and get this issue sorted, as I'm now left with a damaged phone I can't redeem any value from?

Regards,
Micky

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @MickyWeirUK

O2 recycle are notorious for this sort of underhand tactic .

You could make a complaint, though if you have only your word the power button wasn't stuck before you sent it off then you may be out of luck https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

If you  are able to get the power button fixed via a mobile repair shop, you will get a better price if you take it to CEX

Best of luck and welcome to the forumWelcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @MickyWeirUK

O2 recycle are notorious for this sort of underhand tactic .

You could make a complaint, though if you have only your word the power button wasn't stuck before you sent it off then you may be out of luck https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

If you  are able to get the power button fixed via a mobile repair shop, you will get a better price if you take it to CEX

Best of luck and welcome to the forumWelcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did you get the same phone back? Check the IMEI numbers match yours first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Although is does not help you now, I have always found flee bay good for selling decent phones wink

Good luck with O2 though.

Message 4 of 10

MickyWeirUK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi Cleoriff, thanks for your reply. I have since emailed O2 and they are going to investigate. Starting by sending me a pack to once again send my device to them... Fingers crossed the situation does not get worse from here.
Message 5 of 10

MickyWeirUK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I did check and the number was the same apart from the very last digit after the / had gone up by 1...

/12 --> /13

I'm not sure if that means anything, but it's a little strange.
Message 6 of 10

MickyWeirUK
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, I'll check it out.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@MickyWeirUK wrote:
I did check and the number was the same apart from the very last digit after the / had gone up by 1...

/12 --> /13

I'm not sure if that means anything, but it's a little strange.

IMEI numbers cannot be changed so you have a different phone .

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What an underhand trick!!

So the phone you sent for recycle is NOT the one you got back.

As @MI5 says, the IMEI number can not be changed so you have been sent a different phone!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

MickyWeirUK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

***UPDATE***

So I have sent my phone back off to O2 to be investigated as to why the button on my phone has been broken...

Today I received an email with them simply offering me even less money (£38) than previous, and nothing to do with the actual issue!..

Each day my phone losses value, and this is certainly prolonging on the quick sale and upgrade. That of which I wouldn't have done in the first place if it wasn't for O2s baiting offer of £250.

Absolute disgrace. I'm a student and used some of my student loan to upgrade, with the hope of getting a decent price for my upgrade. I'm now very much out of pocket because of this scam... Yes, I would even say SCAM!

For anyone wanting to upgrade, please learn from this and go elsewhere.

Message 10 of 10