Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Email/Webmail to close?

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't know what is going on here and I'm not sure I believe it, but a thread has appeared elsewhere saying that O2 Webmail will be closing at the end of the year according to an O2 Web Chat advisor.

Maybe Chiara could check this out as people using this service may need to make other arrangements. 

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/4259681-o2-to-close-all-webmail-accounts-by-november-2nd-2013.ht...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 1 of 231
230 REPLIES 230

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Port 25 is the only port that used to work on O2's smtp, without SSL ticked.
I use 465 on virgin's smtp over the O2 network.

Thanks.  Is that O2 mobile or broadband (not sure if it makes any difference)?

I've tried port 25, from my phone, for the alternative smtp server.  That works when connected via my home broadband, but gives me a 'network error' when I try it on the O2 mobile network.  I see the same thing if I try port 587 or 465, via the O2 mobile network.  I'll try the latter ports when I get home, to see if I can use them via my broadband connection (I should be able to according to the support pages from my email provider).

Message 171 of 231

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144223 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
I'm using a mobile phone but it shouldn't be any different for BB.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 172 of 231

JohnJohn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, its closing on 1st November 2013. This has been my primary email service since 2005.

I have now created free email accounts with ymail, gmail, live and zoho and run them all through the Thunderbird email client. Its been a pain having to advise hundreds of people that my email has changed and who knows how many wont bother to change it. A bounce is all they will get after the 1st November!

Message 173 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been my only email address/provider since 1999 when it was still Genie Internet. I dread to think how many accounts/sites I have forgotten to notify, nightmare!

Message 174 of 231

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Agreed less than two month's notice about this really isn't good enough!

I'm sure they will lose business because of this, people shouldn't be rushed in this way.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 175 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This has been my only email address/provider since 1999 when it was still Genie Internet. I dread to think how many accounts/sites I have forgotten to notify, nightmare!

Same here.  In fact I'm sure I still get the odd email directed at my old genie address delivered.  This has been a royal pain to sort and I know I won't have got them all.  Needless to say I'm so frustrated I won't be sticking with O2 for any services moving forward.

Message 176 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to say that I left o2 BB/sky before sky transferred my service. I applied to leave in july and 8 August was switched over to Plusnet. Of course initially it seemed that I could retain some o2 email, then it became clear it was stopping. I didn't get any email to inform me that any of my o2 mail accounts would go, and today I have just tried all 4, and they all work!

I went through all uses of my main o2 account (don't know what this stuff was all about, that people were not using it - I did all the time) contacting banks, and many other places, to transfer to another email address.

Message 177 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

My O2 webmail is still working, thought it was 1st November they were switching it off???

Message 178 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My O2 webmail is still working, thought it was 1st November they were switching it off???

Yes, but it seems like they didn't!

Message 179 of 231

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

1) They weren't ready!

2) They tried and failed.

3) They forgot......

4) They've had a change of heart and are going to give us all time to sort out alternative arrangements. Smiley Surprised

Message 180 of 231