cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Account Hacked? O2 have no clue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do any O2 IT staff or staff who know what they're doing frequent this board? Called O2 and predictably, they had no idea what I'm talking about.

I had an o2.co.uk email address that I used for several years. Until, more than a year ago now, I recieved notification from O2 that they would no longer be supporting the service and it would stop working that November. I stopped using the address as my main email, but left the account set up on my email program. - Noticed that it never actually stopped working but wasn't using it, wasn't that bothered.

But over the last few weeks I've started recieving a large amount of 'mail undeliverable' messages on it, like when you send a mail but mistype the address and it gets bounced back - needless to say, I haven't sent anything from this account in about 2 years. It seems someone is using my address as a reply-to for spam.

I closed my O2 account and moved to Three a few months ago, but this mail account is still active. So is my O2 online account - with just 'disconnected bill' and all my details still there... I ported my number so still have the same phone number... 

The other day, I recieved a text from O2 saying 'You've changed your password...' - I went straight to O2 online (by typing the address into my browser) and sure enough, my password wasn't working and had been changed. So I changed it again. Then this morning, I recieve another text, someone's changed it again...

This is very worrying, since even though my account is closed and inactive - my final bill and personal details are all still on there. 

I've also phoned regarding the refresh (loan) part of my account still showing active on my credit record instead of closed and settled. Predictably, for both issues, the O2 reps on the phone have no idea what I'm talking about.

All I want is my account to be fully closed and deleted and my credit record to be updated with settled and closed.

Anyone have any idea how to get hold of someone at O2 who will actually understand and respond to a simple enquiry? Before I start complaining to ombudsmen and calling Watchdog, etc?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Feel free to send me a private message and we can look into this.

I'm Toby, the O2 Community Coordinator slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sounds rather worrying @Tobyslight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Accounts never actually fully close as they are required for audit purposes.
If someone is either guessing and obtaining your password, I would check my system for any key logging malware or change the password to something unique and extremely difficult to guess.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm reasonably confident that it's not being gained from my computer. It's not impossible, but I mostly use a Mac so it's much less likely and I am quite careful about this stuff.

I've had no problem with any other accounts.

I get that they have to keep the records - but surely it can be taken offline? If not, then that's rediculous.

My password was pretty secure, mix of letters, numbers, etc. Now it's really secure. 

But I still don't like my account being accessible and want it taken offline and the email account deleted - it is an inactive account after all.

Not to mention the need for my record with Experian updated to show settled and closed.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It will be archived after a certain length of time, yes.
Try a completely random and complicated password and see if it gets hacked again. If so, you know something is either reading your info or O2's.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Quite a number of people have reported this problem in the last couple of years. As suggested delete everything and change the password to 32 digit random mix of symbols, letters and numbers.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/online-account-hacking/m-p/513802/highlight/tru...

Message 7 of 10

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

I'm talking to PipefishUK via PM.

Cheers slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions