cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee taking up PC resources

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the latest (27/3/13) version of McAfee from O2 and I have to assume it is doing its job, but WHY is it taking up so much of the PC processing with the winlogon.exe process?

It uses about 36% of PC resources even when I am trying to use the PC for other applications. In fact it uses so much resource when PC is idle that it prevents other processes starting which should run on 'idle time' because the PC never appears to be 'idle' while McAfee grabs the processing.

If I stop Real Time Scan (whatever that means) the problem goes away. When I restart it the problem doesn't appear unless the PC is actually idle for a time - then it hogs resources again.

I can't permanently turn off McAfee Real Time Scan either because it automatically turns itself on again overnight, or persistently reminds me with an annoying pop-up that I have turned it off.

Anybody had and solved this problem please (apart from buying a proper Norton A/V product of course)? Can I disable R/T Scan and still have protection?

Any answers from McAfee?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I run Symantec EP on my laptop (Win 7) and the kids laptops (XP) run MSE. They are probably at a bigger risk of viruses as they are not so tech savvy and visit lots of games sites etc but so far they've not had any problems, so I would say it works fine. Also very unintrusive. Can't say I've noticed if you get daily updates but I have seen it prompt you to turn on wifi to update if they've not been connected to the internet when they switch on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If it's slowing down the pc the best thing is to remove it, you might need the McAfee Removal Tool for that.

Then download Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and very light on using resources:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
That's one of the reason why I don't use McAfee. Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Defender are free and perfectly capable and don't hog resource. If you want a good paid for product Symantec is the one to go for.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Defender is one solution if it's up to the job and tackles latest threats. Does it get updated daily? Is it intrusive?

I thought I'd try McAfee as it was 'free' but it isnt as transparent in operation as the latest Symantec products which 'cost'.

I just looked at the problem again and the McAgfee firewall seems to be taking up that resource too - it appears to 'grow' through the day - now 40% Smiley Frustrated

Horses for courses I suppose...

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh the PC copes ok but is running at higher usage - which keeps my room warmer - at a cost. Mind you .. in this weather we're having  slight_smile

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I run Symantec EP on my laptop (Win 7) and the kids laptops (XP) run MSE. They are probably at a bigger risk of viruses as they are not so tech savvy and visit lots of games sites etc but so far they've not had any problems, so I would say it works fine. Also very unintrusive. Can't say I've noticed if you get daily updates but I have seen it prompt you to turn on wifi to update if they've not been connected to the internet when they switch on.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing wrong with MSE, leave Windows automatic updates switched on & MSE will work happily in the background without slowing down the computer.

I've used MSE for a couple of years now on my own machines & also installed in on family members machines & none of us have had any issues / problems with it.

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've used McAfee and Norton in the past on a windows PC and also found them to be hogs !

Touch wood I've not been hit on my mac but I do leave the firewall up on it at all times as a precaution.

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses. I use latest Norton on my main machine (only had single licence this year) and it's not as bad as it used to be with regard to delays and obtrusiveness.

Firewall only isnt the best protection, but most routers will provide good protection anyway. I think it's the viruses that can damage your pc without communicating 'out' which firewall wont prevent so some sort of internal scanning or activity-trapping is advisable.

May try Miscrosoft option if McAfee continues to be a problem.

Many thanks

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless Sky throw-in full Symantec package with life-membership and 3 licences to keep me on....
... or perhaps not.
Message 10 of 12